Typical four year old behavior?

My four year old son went into my room and took my foundation and put it on his hands and then wiped it on his shirt. When I asked him what was on his shirt, he lied to me and told me he didn't know. I smelled it and figured out it was makeup. But, I didn't tell him that I knew what it was. When I asked him again, he told me the truth. My problem is that he went into my room without my permission, which is something he is not allowed to do. Secondly, he took something that did not belong to him. And thirdly he made a mess on his shirt that might not come out. I know makeup stains are exceptionally difficult to get clean.
The question is...is it typical four year old behavior or should I discipline for this? I feel like I should discipline because he did 2 things he shouldn't do...go into my room with me there and taking something that wasn't his to play with.
What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Discipline him if you feel he knew better, and try greased lightning for the stains.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yeah..typical 4 year old behavior,he's curious.He lied because he was afraid of getting into trouble. I'd give him a time out for sneaking something he knows he shouldnt have gotten.But I'd still reassure him that it was good to admit the truth.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think this is typical behavior for a 4yo,but also he should be punished if he knows he is not to do these things.kids have to learn.
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes, it is typical and Yes, I would punish him if he knew he wasn't allowed to do it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think I'd have a problem with the lying above ALL else. Yes, the other things are against your house rules. And, yes, they need to be addressed. But, kids are curious & get into things. The BIG issue is dealing with the lie. In my house, lying is THE CARDINAL SIN. Punishment for lying to me about something gets you far worse punishment than the deed & telling me the truth. It's good that he told the truth the 2nd time around. But, the goal is to tell the truth...the 1st time...period. He needs to understand that you have boundaries...ie...staying out of your room & getting into things that are not his. But, the lying needs to be addressed as well. Otherwise, it will only get worse as he gets older.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Oh, and so that it isn't just ALL negative, let him know he did a good thing by telling you the truth in the long run.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I go through this with my four year old son. Yes, he knows better, yes, he knows the rules, but sometimes a four year old forgets about right and wrong and just thinks about exploring and playing with new things. next time I would let him know that i knew what he did when he lied to me. The only thing I would be concerned about is him not being allowed in your room. That just makes it more exciting for him, wondering what treasures are in there. I wouldn' punish punish him, but I would tell him that mommy's make up is for mommy only, maybe follow it up with "Just like your firetruck is yours, this is mommy's"
    LoraGardiner

Answer by LoraGardiner at 4:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My son did things like that. Baby powder, makeup, hairspray, you name it. It is normal to be curiou but he still needs discipline to teach him that somethins are off limits. As for the lying, you need to let him know he wll get in more trouble doing than than if he just told the truth the fist time. He will learn eventually, especially when he realizes that mommy knows everything already lol
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 4:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2011