How do you wash your child's hair without them screaming?

My 3 year old and my 1 year old HATE their hair being washed. I have tried the sun visor hat things, not good for us. They both scream bloody murder when i grab a wash cloth or a cup to rinse the shampoo out.

aslforme

Asked by aslforme at 3:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• You cant. Just wash it and let them scream. Try and get them to tilt their heads backwards, but they will scream no matter what. The do get used to it. Dont give in.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• my nephew is the same way with my sister, but lets daddy do it lol. My kids are 6 and 3 and I never had a problem with them screaming to wash their hair. I just always laid them down in the tub it was easier for me rather than trying to poor water on their heads and getting in their eyes. Now if daddy does it my kids don't scream, but they do cry cause daddy isn't as carful as mommy of getting it in the eyes. Thats what I have always done is lay them back in the tub and wash it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Vbruno is right, they are going to scream regardless until they either figure out it's not going to help anything or until they get used to getting their hair washed.....just keep on doing what your doing mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I used to tell a story, something to do with the stars and the moons or the birds flying high high high in the bright blue sky...and when it was time to rinse their hair they had to look up in the sky and count the stars or tell me how bright the moon was....or name the birds and his friends.... you can also let the water out and as the water is going down the drain rinse their hair and tell them that if they hurry and let you rinse their hair before the water is out that they get to pick a treat.... I have a friend who drains the water and fills the tub back up so they can lay down in the water and rinse there hair that way.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• When my daughters were younger they use to do the same thing. I found a technique that worked for both of them. I got lucky. I would talk to them and say "Since you dont want mommy to wash your hair, do you want to try?" they were all for that! If I thought they were going to slow or missing a spot id say "Oh you missed a spot let me help you" and they welcomed the help. I even let them wash the soap out of their hair themselves and they felt like big girls cause they got to do it and felt independent. I wish you the best of luck!
    dolphingoddess

Answer by dolphingoddess at 4:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i hand my boys a dry wash cloth to 'play peek a boo' with and let them cover their eyes...they usually tilt their head back naturally while they do it...it doesnt stop all of the fussing and fighting over hair washing, but it has made a considerable difference.
    sbenbenek

Answer by sbenbenek at 4:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I always had them lie down on my ironing board at the kitchen sink, with their head hanging back into the sink just as they do in a Beauty Salon. They thought ot was fun and they NEVER got soap/ shampoo in their eyes. Problem solved. If your kids are screaming, they are afraid of having their eyes burning from getting soap and shampoo in them. I couldn't stand by and let my kids scream bloody murder! REALLY!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I do it in the kitchen sink too. I just lay her on the counter w/her head hanging in the sink. It makes it easier.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Good Luck, Mommy. My DD is 9 and she still has a fit when I try to wash her hair, so my mom has been doing it for me.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 4:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have the exact same problem so if you try a solution that works please let me know.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011