Pottytraining??

My son will be 2 soon, and we have decided to introduce potty training. We just bought a potty, and he is interested in it. The problem is, I've never done this and I am not entirely sure how. I know I can do research on the internet and ask the ped, but I just wanted to have some mom-to-mom advice. Thanks a ton!! :)

mamabaier

Asked by mamabaier at 3:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, what we did with my granddaughter was to get her those Can-do wipes. They are totally different from baby wipes, and we made a big deal out of going to the store to get them, let her get them off the shelf,and told her she could only use them if she went in the potty, because they were for big girls, who don't need a diaper,otherwise she'd have to use baby wipes. It worked really well, she was so excited about getting to use big girl wipes,and wear big girl panties, she was done in a short time. Best of luck with your little man.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Put him in underwear and try to take him to the potty every 30-60 minutes. Look up 3 day potty training. It worked great for my daughter. When he uses the potty reward him with maybe a stickers. Or have a sticker chart if he gets a X amount of stickers he gets to pick a prize out of a prize bag. Just go to the dolor store and pick up a bunch of party favors. Continue that until he does very well and slowly take away the prizes.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Day by day and lots and lots of patience :)
    For my oldest son..I bought him a potty video, potty book, and potty chair. I encouraged, and never disciplined for any accidents.I clapped and acted like an big idiot when he peed or pooped in the potty,lol.
    keep in mind that not only do they need to be mentally ready, they need to be physically ready as well. If thier bowel or bladder is not yet mature enough to be able to hold pee or poo when the brain tells it too...potty training will not be a success and may take even longer if the child is pushed because they will fill like they have failed.It should be a positive training.One way to know if they are ready is if he tells you he's peed or pooped before hes actually went.
    Theres a lot to it and not enough room here to type all the wonderful info there is. Good Luck in your potty training venture..I'm currently training my 2nd... :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I agree with mommy_of_two388. But he's too young for that. Wait at least 6 months. Even wait until he's 3 and get rid of the diapers completely. Keep the potty around until then. But don't push it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2011