• In the Spotlight:

Military sectrets...

This is something that has bothered me for a while. Why do people think they should know everything the military officers do? Has not occured to some that public knowledge of some information puts us and the people on the front lines at high risk? The new york times keeps "breaking news" that just hand the terrorists info that they need and want! I don't feel the need to know it all! If keeping it secret keeps my kids safe, you go buddy. What about you?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I have more faith in our intelligence than to think that Fox News and CNN could break into their info. It has long been a tactic for law enforcement to strategically leak info to the news to aid their causes. I am sure the military is aware of this tactic and very masterful at implementing it. If the war on terror were as simple as it seems on TV then we would have won it already. It is far more complicated than any of us know. 20 years from now we might find out some real truths!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• yeah i never under stood that either unless they are lying to fool the terrist???Maybe
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• While in the military I worked in Intel.. and honestly.. the news knows crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It bugs me that so many US citizens thinks they should know what is going on with the War on Terror, National Security, etc... If they knew, then the terrorist know and then we have lost... Get it? Got it? Good! :o)
    myame

Answer by myame at 12:31 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I agree. If keeping me in the dark helps them to do their job - turn off the lights, baby!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Dear Anonymous, ... thank you - that is very reassuring !! Ever since the early days of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, I was disgusted by all the "leaking" that our US media were doing. Were they truly oblivious that their news programs were being watched by enemies and used to create new plans? ... It was obvious that most of the terrorist activities were aimed at news coverage, and in the first years were aimed at using the European and US media to sway public opinion and in that way hamper the effective response of national leaders. (For example, I remember watching Rumsfeld on TV - although he wanted to send in a common sense number of troops, every time he announced that a few more were being sent, the media created a frenzy of public opposition. With the result that it was years before enough troops got over there ...)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I doubt the news knows any "real" secrets. What we do hear is the stuff they want us to hear or the stuff they know the other side has already found out on their own. Its just to make us think we a "in the know" about "secret stuff". The news is actually frequently wrong about its facts.A lot of times the do come back with corrections but its usualy skimmed over in favor of the first "breaking news" story.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• DH has a TS clearance. He's in the Army and works for Future Weapons Systems--a program partnership between Boeing and the Army that develops weapons most of us couldn't even fathom. It's crazy for me to think about all of the things that DH knows that I never will, the things he has to keep even from his own wife. And though it seems incredible to me, I totally get it. We're better off not knowing some things, and we're certainly better off not broadcasting it to those sorry-excuses-for-life terrorists. (This is why I support domestic troop deployments: What we don't know could kill us. And since we can't possibly be privy to classified information, it's comforting to know that we'll have help if or when we need it.)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I don't want to know. I just want them to do their job, protect, serve, and if I don't know the details, most likely it is for a reason and I am ok with that.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I think if you want to know all the stuff the military knows, go join. We could use all the help we can get, but keep your nose out of it if you aren't willing to sacrifice for those secrets.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2008