They say opposites attract

Do you and your SO/DH agree (at least most of the time) when it comes to politics?

If not how do you overcome your different beliefs?

If you do, do you think it would have affected your relationship or been a potential "deal breaker" if you hadn't?

kayslay

Asked by kayslay at 4:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We agree on most things political, but there are a few issues where I am more of a moderate and we don't agree.

We don't have to 'overcome' the differences. We are both mature adults that appreciate that we won't agree on everything.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes, we have very similar views . I cannot answer your other questions as the issues have never arisen
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• we dont agree on everything but that's what i like about or relationship. it's challenging and interesting all the time. we can agree to disagree and also have some pretty great debates that get pretty heated but then we love that kinda thing. We are both very passionate people.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 4:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We completely agree on politics... :o) And I think it would definitely be a problem for both of us, if we didn't...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We agree 99% of the time. We met when we were old enough to realize that spending the rest of our life married to someone who held opposing views wasn't what we wanted to do, so it would have definitely been a deal breaker. Or more likely a deal non-starter... we are both pretty passionate about our views, and I think after the first date or two we would have realized that we were a bad match if we were political opposites.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 4:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• yes, we do.

the only thing I can figure about how James Carville and Mary Matalin do it is that the last thing they care to do at home is discuss politics.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• He trusts my opinion on everything.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• pretty much agree on everything political...we're both fiscally conservative. he's more Independent than Republican, and i'm more Republican than..well...

i can't say what 'would've been' if we hadn't been on the same page..i certainly dated those who were. it was more important that we be alike spiritually, than politically.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• no, we were opposites but we didn't let it become an issue. It shouldn't be a deal breaker.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I can't imagine being married FOR LIFE to someone who shares a completely different set of political views--which encompass one's morals and values...assuming one actually has a healthy relationship in which they are able and willing to discuss real life issues, that is!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011