A Good Children's Book Dealing about Death

My husband passed away recently. It's a little more difficult, because it was a suicide....

Either way, I have two sons. One is four, the other two. My four-year-old is having a rough time dealing with it. He has nightmares, he doesn't like going to bed, etc. He knows Daddy died...that Daddy is heaven...but he doesn't know how or why. He just knows Daddy is gone. And well, he's scared that'll happen to mommy.

I just started him in counseling, so hopefully that'll help as well...but since he absolutely loves books, I figured that could be another avenue to approach.

Any help on the subject will be most appreciated. Thank you.

ImPhoenix

Asked by ImPhoenix at 5:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We read "The Magician's Nephew" by C.S. Lewis with mine around the time they lost a couple great-grandparents. I was surprised to find how much that book helped them understand the concept of death. To them, dying was like going to a new world, only you can never come back to this one. We finished reading the entire set, and it helped, but for some reason that first book and hopping between worlds made sense to them. In their minds, when you die, you are transported to another world, like Narnia, but you don't come back to this one. And one day, everyone will leave this world and go to the next one. Very simple understanding, but very clear and easy to wrap their little minds around.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 5:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• im sorry

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Thank you....I'll look into that one. :)
    ImPhoenix

Comment by ImPhoenix (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't know how religious u are however, I would get a childrens bible to help them understand the power of God. This will comfort, and even provide a glimpse to give them knowledge about heaven . sorry for your lost
    Twokids201189

Answer by Twokids201189 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 7:58 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Grandma upstairs, grandma downstairs by tomie dipoala or the next place, i forget the author. Both really helped me when i was a kid
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 11:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2011