How is the best way to use "time out" with my 2 year old?

thejamieco

Asked by thejamieco at 5:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine doesn't generally sit on his own, so I sit beside him or really close by...I tell him that when he has 'quiet hands, feet and voice' in other words when hes not trying to get up or yelling and fighting, we can talk about it. Once he does that I praise his listening and tell him why he was on time out. I make him make eye contact and apologize specifically for what he had done...it has taken me quite sometime but things have become smoother and now we have a good basis for when 'time outs' start getting more serious...I hope this helps :) good luck
    sbenbenek

Answer by sbenbenek at 6:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If your in to Time outs watch Super nanny that shows is helpful. However, with my four year old it wasn't working so I had to make a system where I take away fun times and toys... such as Computer time and explain that if she would had did what I instructed her to do early____ etc... She could play but since she didn't she is losing out. Eye level helps and making time out boring assists too.
    Twokids201189

Answer by Twokids201189 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2011