Getting impatient should i continue being nice?

My lil brother is staying with us, my hubby, daughter and I, and Im pregnant, and he is waiting to try to join the military and attempting to go to school. But he is always lying to us and using our car when i told him i didnt want him to cuz it has problems and he is irresponsible. He does nothing around the house and is depending on us to take care of everything he wants which we can not afford. he seems to think we are made of money. He is constantly disrespectful and lies to us constantly and blames all his problems on us. He isnt doing anything he is supposed to be doing as far as going to school and getting into the military is concerned. Im trying really hard to be patient with him since he is my lil brother and doesnt really have many choices as to where he can go. But i have told him he needs to work on some specific issues or things arent gonna work out with him staying... he isnt doing anything i asked. Should i keep trying to be nice and hope he leaves for the military in june? what are your thoughts... he is driving me insane!!!

mrs.miner

Asked by mrs.miner at 5:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• Honestly make him leave. Sounds like he is more of a problem than anything else. It sounds to me like he just wants someone to take care of him. If you can hold out till June then more power to ya if not and its that bad, talk to him and tell him you just can't take it anymore. GL
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 5:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would try talking to him again. Tell him what he needs to start doing and make sure he knows that your family is doing him a favor by letting him stay with you. If he doesn't start changing, then I would ask him to leave. There's only so much someone can take before they explode. Good luck :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 5:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Put it all in writing and go over it with him. Give him the choice to do it or he can find another place to live. Let him know you will no longer tolerate his disrespect. And stick with it. I think many call this approach Tough Love. Good luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Doesn't sound like he is serious about much & taking advantage of you guys. I would give him an ultimatum with a dead line time or OUT he is!
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Set boundaries and rules. That's not being "not nice". You are giving him a place to stay, he should be grateful and respectful, not feeling entitled.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2011