Mother in law?

My mother in law has lots of issues...she fights with everyone in her life...bla bla...Anyway we had a decent relationship at first..i was the sweet daughter and law and when became pregnant she had ordered the crib off my registry .we didnt call her immediately to thank her...So she waited about 10 days to write us the nastiest letter imaginable..(btw i thought my husband had contacted her but was so busy and stressed at work he failed to call her. To make a long story short returned all of my baby shower gifts and said she wasnt coming to the shower ; which she did not.. I felt that was extreme and awful..We havent spoken for 7 months..christmas is coming and i will go to her home for my husbands sake...but it will be very uncomfortable and its a shame How would you react on that day...just be cordial and limit conversation? She truly starts trouble with everyone in the family in due time

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• Be as nice as you can be, and keep conversation limited. I think what she did was extreme, but what can you do about it--nothing at this point. You may want to talk to her in advance and apologize for the breakdown in communication. Good luck!
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• just like the 1st comment said talk to her tell her your sorry..there was a miss communication. i live with my mil and we fight a lot...i mean A LOT>..half the time its over a misscommunication
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Holy crap, do we share a mother in law? I swear, that woman sounds EXACTLY like my MIL. When I got married, my MIL wanted to watch my husband and I open all our wedding presents, but we wanted to do it in private, so when the day after the wedding came (while we were still on our 1-day honeymoon) she called and when we told her we had already opened the presents, she FLIPPED OUT, hung up on him, called back, screamed at him, hung up... It went on and on. When I called her to try and "make peace", she yelled at me that I was selfish and hung up on me, as well. We didn't talk to her for a few weeks, then she called my husband like nothing had happened. But she's continued that type of charade ever since. But the way I get through it, I just remember that the woman is CRAZY. It helps. Sounds like you've got a crazy one, too, so keep it in mind, and just smile and nod when you have to, and don't take any of it personally.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• OVERKILL WITH KINDNESS.....WATCH HER DROP......
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 1:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• She sounds crazy. I would be good to the hubby, go be nice and limit what you say, once again she sounds crazy, there is no telling what she might say or do. It is the method I use since my MIL thought she who is on husband number 5 could tell me how to be a good wife. I let it be know I had a mother who got it right the first time and could tell me all that I needed to know about being a wife, perhaps she should have raised her son to be a good husband. So that when it came to having children I also did not need or want her advice, my mother had two with college and graduate degrees, where she had 5 kids 3 who have criminal records and 3 of which don't seem to be marriage material. Ahhhhhhhhh the holiday season where nothing has been forgotten and yet we smile for the camera any how.  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!   

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Thankyou to all of you for the advice. Some people are challenges to maintain relationships with. Hopefully it can make us a better person in some way...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• So she was not told Thank you in "her" idea of a proper time frame & did not investigate to see if there any miscommunication? & THAT was worth her returning a crib for her grand-child? What about the baby? Was she concerned about where the baby would sleep? WOW !! Not nice. A gift is a gift IMO. Yes it is proper to say thank you, but WOW again, she did not give it much time before she went psycho !! I'd be nice when I had to Christmas & not go out of my way to spend a lot of time around her. I assume she hasn't seen the baby in 7 months? I would not have any use for a G-ma like that.

Anonymous