Worried about my cat

My maine coon is an older cat, I would say roughly 6 or 7 years old. I always see him licking his bottom 2 nipples. I never paid any attention to it, but he was sitting in front of me doing it and I looked at the nipple and there were 2 tiny red sores by his fur and then the nipple its self was an odd tan/reddish color. It also seems he has a sore right next to the nipple its self. Should I just keep an eye on it or should I make a vet appt for him ASAP?

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Pets

• I would take him to the vet.
    My dog has been licking his paws constantly for a few weeks now and I just thought he wasn't reacting well to me being pregnant. He licked his paws until a nail fell off and the quick was exposed. Took him in to get the nail taken care of and found out he has developed seasonal allergies. So now he has a soothing cream for his itchy paws and has been put on Benydril (spelling?) and it has helped him out so much. He is much more comfortable and now his paws can heal.
    Call your vet, the cat could be licking from stress, sudden allergies or some other skin condition that can be treated.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 6:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My cay has licked his belly bald! They tried giving him cortisone but it turns out he is just a necrotic licker! They said it coul dbe stress but we can't figure out what exactly from...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'd call the vet

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Thats definitally something a vet could answer! Good luck :D
    AdrianzMommie

Answer by AdrianzMommie at 7:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Aw, you just reminded of the Maine coon I had she was so wonderful she died at 17, and she spend a week saying goodbye, purring at every sight of us. I say if you are worried have a vet check her out, better be safe than sorry.

Answer by older at 9:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I agree, a vet exam is in order.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011