Sleeping on my Right side...Is it going to harm the baby?

I find myself sleeping on my right side a lot. But I usually can't lay like the for too long (more than an hour or so) because it gets uncomfortable and then when I turn to my left side its like an "ahhh" feeling. But I'm wondering...is it going to hurt the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You have to sleep on one side or the other. God, they give you so many things to worry about when you're pregnant.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I always go back and fourth between left and right side... I had no idea this could be an issue. Thank you for asking this question!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 6:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Its laying on your back that's not recommended... either side shouldn't hurt the baby.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No... Finkette is right: it's lying on your back that's the problem (compresses the uterine artery, cutting off your baby's oxygen supply) --you may like to keep that in mind if your healthcare professional suggests lying on your back for ANY REASON during labour or delivery. There is no reason that stops the weight of the baby from compressing the artery, slowing or even stopping the labour, and creating complications that need not occur.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Laying on your left side provides better circulation for the baby, but laying on your right side isn't going to hurt. The only positions they want you to avoid is laying on your back or your stomach.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No and neither will lying on your back. Sleep however you are comfortable.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Actually sleeping on your back is not recommended. This can cause problems with backaches, breathing, digestive system, hemorrhoids, low blood pressure and decrease in circulation to your heart and your baby. This is caused by your belly/baby is resting on your intestines and major blood vessels.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I sleep on both sides, flip as each side got sore. NO you should not sleep on your back however I found myself doing it and would get uncomfortable and wake up, so I don't think you really have to worry to much about that.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i do the same i go from right to left and on my back GOOD LUCK
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 5:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2011