does toe polish hurt the baby?

I think its cute to have her toes (not fingers) painted with her little dresses, but her daddy says hel* no?! is it unsafe?

Babywinx

Asked by Babywinx at 2:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they have safe non toxic nail polish for babys and young children. and as for other polish, if it on her feet i see no harm.
    momma2346

Answer by momma2346 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Nail polish is definitely not a substance I would want my baby in the same room breathing, let alone having it absorbed into her skin. And then the polish remover also has fumes and soaks into skin. Volatile substances(things that evaporate quickly) usually are unhealthy - one thing they do is destroy brain cells. Alzheimer researchers warn us to stay away from these as much as we can throughout our lifetimes. They all too easily get into the body to cause damage because they get swiftly breathed in and cross the lung lining, and they easily soak into the skin. I am not familiar with all nail polishes - maybe they have some kind of breakthrough I don't know about. But if the nail polish has those fumes, it’s bad news. … (cont’d)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about the physical effects of it too much, but I know you should leave one of the big toes unpainted. If something happens to the baby in an emergency the doctors can check the big toes for color or circulation and also usually put a pulse/ox on the toe. Just somethign to keep in mind.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I mean, they say you shouldn't even use lotions or creams on a baby's skin which are not plant based (like the mineral oil or petroleum jelly in Johnson's or Vaseline) because these have no vit. E and will pull vit E out of the skin, thus depleting the baby's (or any person's) body. Baby’s skin is so much less calloused, so much less of a protective barrier yet, that it’s more vulnerable to substances crossing it. And also, the EXPONENTIAL multiplication of brain cells as the baby is growing the first 5 years makes us want to be super careful to keep anything from interfering with the delicate process of creating each new cell and interlinking it the way it needs. If there are any warnings on labels about using in a well-ventilated area, then keep your baby completely away. Even one whiff is more than I would want, since there is so very much that they breath already from house construction chemicals, cleaning products, car exhaust, food preservatives & pesticides â€
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• i personally think that a baby is natural and should remain that way- my dd didnt get her ears pierced till 1st bday -
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I painted my daughters toenails until she started putting her feet in her mouth. They looked so cute.
    mommastang

Answer by mommastang at 8:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2008