botched circumcision?

my son's circumcision seems to have healed improperly. he has a small penis and it's always "hiding" up in his baby fat, instead of hanging down. i have to push on either side of it to get it to pop out so i can wipe it during changes. so, as his circ healed, the head of his penis didn't heal in a mushroom shape. instead, it healed level with his shaft, so there isn't larger mushroom tip, it's just all straight and smooth, but you can see the line around the top where the ledge would be. his dr says she can re-cut it so it can re-heal and hopefully get the usual shape back, but since his penis is still "hiding" most of the time, i don't want to do it yet- if at all.

i feel so bad that he didn't heal properly and doesn't look normal, so please, NO ATTACKS! i know i made a choice and i am now suffering my concequenses.

my question is: did or does anyone else have this problem? and what came of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has that. He's only 13 months but i don't think it's cause of a bad circumcision. His doctor told me it was because he was a big baby and that it shoud fix it's self. i don't understand how your suffering?? But it's a choice you have to make. Or you can wait until he's old enough and let him make it.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If you do some research online you will find MANY bad Circ's performed every year. Your not alone dear. It happens. Worse it having a toddler getting recut only to heal painfuilly and be totally aware of it. I'm sorry your going through this.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:21 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son was circumcised about three weeks ago, and we had a problem like this. I researched it a lot because he was fine until the circumcision, and just after for about an hour, and then it looked wrong. I spent hours researching on the internet. It's called a hidden or buried penis, and for you it will depend on if it is genetic, due to his weight or due to trauma of the surgery. My son's problem turned out to be due to the trauma of the surgery. Evidently if the surgery causes enough trauma to their body it will pull everything in close to their body, and that's what happened to my son. Everything looked ok, but over the hour after the surgery everything pulled in and it looked like they cut everything but a quarter inch of foreskin off.
    childrengalore

Answer by childrengalore at 3:22 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If it is due to the baby fat he probably will grow out of it, but if it is due to the circumcision healing wrong or if it's genetic it's likely he will have to have surgery to correct it. If you are unsure about it I would do some researching like I did and see what you can find about it to see what matches your son and then go to your doctor with the information you have found and talk to him about it. After researching circumcisions I don't think I will circumcise any other sons I might have in the future. I wish I would have known before hand what I know now, that's for sure.
    childrengalore

Answer by childrengalore at 3:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It probably has nothing to do with his circumcision, but his fat pad. What has the doctor said? My son had what looked like an inverted penis just because his fat pad was so big. When he lost the baby fat, he lost the fat pad and he is perfectly fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• The penis pulling in, is because of his fat pad. As he grows and loses his baby fat, that shouldn't happen anymore. About your issue with the "ledge". My toddler's circ turned out fine, he has that ledge. My 10 month old twins didn't get circs because they were in NICU, then when they were released I had no one to watch the oldest so I could take them in. DH had a boss that wouldn't let him take off 3 hours from work to watch the oldest. So they are uncut. But sorry if it's TMI, but DH has no ledge and he had a circ when he was a baby. So don't worry, it's not like it's going to be a deal breaker for your boy's future wife.
    mommyonhawaii

Answer by mommyonhawaii at 1:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• When my son was circumcised there wasn't a ledge and there was the same pulling in that you describe. My exhusband was uncircumcised so I didn't really realize anything was wrong but my mom freaked out thinking that he would never be able to have an erection without the fold of extra skin. Our doctor told us not to worry about it and that as he gets older skin would gradually be pushed down and form the ledge. He is now almost a year old and it looks perfectly normal.

On the otherhand, my nephew's always had the ledge and now at 4 years old we are thinking they didn't do a very good job because there is so much extra skin.
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• ok my son has this same issue and he had his cir redone when he was like a year old and it is still like this. i dont know what to do either so i dont want him to have issues or self esteem problems when he gets older so trust me you are not the only one and i sympathise with you and your problems because i feel it is my fault that my sons looks like that too.
    tayandlexismom

Answer by tayandlexismom at 8:48 AM on Dec. 9, 2008