How can I get my dog to stop being so hyper?

I have a four year old chihuahua that is so hyper he is unpleasant to be around. He resembles a jack russel terrier more than his own breed.

lilangilyn

Asked by lilangilyn at 7:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Pets

• It has alot to do w/him being neutered.. You didn'tt say he is/isn't.. Chihuahuas are like this anyway.. You really didn't give much info to follow.. You don't say anything about him being trained young, or has little or none.. Take Care, Donna....
    dobrd

Answer by dobrd at 7:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Exercise it. Even though it is a smaller dog it still needs stimulation and daily walks. Not as long as larger dogs who were bred to have energy but enough to tire it out. And, if you do "exercise it" clearly it is not enough.
    Also, refrain from unnecessary kenneling (that is if you do) that tends to cause dogs to have more pent up energy that just explodes when they are finally free.
    Anonymous

• It is in their nature, but ask the vet if there is anything you can give him.

Answer by older at 7:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• How often do you take the dog out for exercise? How often do u have training or play sessions with the dog?
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 7:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have a chihuahua with the same problem....I started taking him out twice a day instead of once....and I talked to the vet and she suggested getting him nuetured would help....so...yeah lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If you have a dog park near you take him there and let him run there. I started taking my dog to the dog park almost 3 weeks ago and I have noticed a significate change in her. She is a schipperke and she was born to run (sheep herding dog). She doesn't fetch anything
    but she likes to run with the dogs who do fetch, and when she get home she passes out in the middle of the floor for about an hour. She is better behaved then before and she isn't as afraid of the other dogs.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 8:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Dogs need hard exercise, small dogs included. Not just a walk on the leash, but the opportunity to run. Try doubling your dog's amount of exercise. Many bad behaviors among dogs stem from boredom.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 10:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• He is neutered. I have had chihuahuas all my life and he is the only one out of 8 dogs over my life span of 56 years that has been like this. So when I say hyper, I mean beyond the norm for the breed. We have a large yard that he runs and plays in several times a day. I play fetch with him several times a day and have taught him many tricks. He is not crated or kenneled. I do not walk him as he chokes while on the traditional leash and collar as he is so hyper and the vet told me not to. I have tried other types of collars, gentle leader etc, but it has not worked. I have also taken him to obedience classes.
    lilangilyn

Comment by lilangilyn (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• exercise him as much as you can that always helps!! if he loves toys let him play with them and reward him for good behavior.
    prdVirgobby

Answer by prdVirgobby at 12:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Exercise-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2011