DS is 2 years old..he is left handed..does it matter?

Should I get lefty anything that is significant for him?

MexTexmom2

Asked by MexTexmom2 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Thats up to you. Some people will try and force a kid to use the other hand. I dont see an issue with either hand.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No. He will adjust by himself. Have lots of lefties in my family, and they don't even use lefty scissors.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Hmm...he's a bit young for a left-handed can opener. At age two...there's really nothing I can think of that should be an issue. You can try getting him lefty scissors later, but he'll probably stop using them as soon as he gets into school. Later, left-handed spiral notebooks are nice, as are three-ring binders that hold a pad of three-hole-punched paper on the left side.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have a lefty. He doesn't use anything different. Even the scissors they now have can cut well for either hand, though he does sometimes cut righty.

When he went to preschool and kindergarten I made sure that they knew he was lefty so they wouldn't try to "change" him or just confuse him. They encourage his leftiness. And it helps that his little bff is also a lefty. It was fun to watch the two of them color the other day.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• honestly at this age it doesn't matter. i'm a lefty and don't use any special lefty things.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No. My husband, son, grandfathers and I are left handed and we don't anything special for "lefty" We do go to a left handed gift shop in San Francisco to buy silly stuff. Like lefty pens they are useless. Just for fun you could find a store like that.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 7:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes-- left handed people have more accidents. I know... my husband is a complete klutz!!

There's a book out there about famous people who were left landed. It's rather interesting-- i.e. did you know that left handed people tend to gravitate toward engineering and science? That they really do have more accidents? They're also more likely to be in the "brilliant" or "not very bright" spectrum, but not really "average" when it comes to intelligence? There is also a correlation between being left-handed and mental illness-- although I cant' remember which one. (really!) Left-handedness also doesn't follow the usual genetic pattern, because it shows up in the population ratio as 1:9-- most genetic probabilities show up in an even ratio. The book was rather interesting.

There was also a store in Seattle that used to sell only left handed stuff... like left-handed mugs. LOL.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Both my kids are lefties. They've adjusted fine. I did buy a set of left-handed scissors for the household though, because they complained so much. I've never heard of that thing Busimommi said about having more accidents, but it would explain a lot about them both! They are absurdly accident prone!
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would get him things that would help if he was constantly using his left hand for everything. If he's still using both hands for things I would wait. But I think it would help him if you got him some things.
    smileynikki712

Answer by smileynikki712 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No, I am left handed and have never had any problems...My daughter is 6 1/2 and still used both hands for certain things, dont worry they will be fine...
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2011