Am I wrong for thinking and be concerned about this?

badIn another par of the city I live in has had a total of 85 murders between last year and so far this year. Its all gang, drugs, and revenge related. There was a drive by shooting where a funeral was taking place, inside a church!!! The victim was a former banger, and I guess the rival gang wasn't done with him. So they let loose a stream of bullets into the church not caring if they hit a child or the pastor or anybody at all. I am soooooo tired of this shit. I want to leave. I don';t care where. I just want to go. I do not know if my dh thinks we are safe cause we have a 70 lb dog and a shot gun ect. Ok, so maybe the fact of a home invasion doesn't concern him. But what about the drive-by shootings? Bullets don't stop after they hit a person or a wall. I am hearing gunshots, ambulance and police sirens every night. I think I would rather deal with the tornados. At least I know what they will do and they do not discriminate which house they want to hit, or if that house has someone in there who decided to stand up and talk the police. I do not know what to do anymore. All I know is I am scared for my 2 yr old dd, and I do not want her growing up thinking violence is the answer if someone does something to piss her off or just has a difference of opinion. Any thoughts?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would not feel comfortable in a neighborhood like that, I completely understand you wanting to leave.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I understand your concern as well you should be. I was raised in a city flagged with drugs, gangs, and murders, my mother moved us out of there before we were in highschool and it's one of the greatest gifts she has ever given me... Lord knows, if she hadn't I'd either be dead, in a gang, or high as a kite. Living in that environment and knowing what I know now, there is NO WAY on God's green Earth that I would raise my children in those environments. Soo.. IMO I'd move the hell away from there sooner rather than later. Good luck Momma!
    TexasMama2Boys

Answer by TexasMama2Boys at 7:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think your right to be concerned about the culture of violence your daughter would be growing up in.

If you and or hubby can find gainful employment in a nicer place, I say go for it before your little girl is old enough to go to school where she'd have to deal with gangster kids.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Goodness I hope you can move away!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I grew up in a neighborhood that the crips and the bloods fought over a lot,so needless to say there were a lot of drive bys. You couldn't pay me to raise my kids in that kind of environment. If you can I would move to somewhere else. If you can't when you hear bullets I was taught to lay down or go to a room with no windows and still lay down,it makes you less of a target.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 7:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• :( that is a discussion u need to have and quickly. ur right to feel the way u do, and my heart goes out to u! :') I hope u guys move soon. U never know if one of those stray bullets will come close to u or ur kids. <3 good luck out there and be safe
    AdrianzMommie

Answer by AdrianzMommie at 7:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We would have to sit down and talk about this cause if I were in your shoes I would be the same way
    benitaapplebomb

Answer by benitaapplebomb at 8:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have never lived in a place like that . If it was occurring around me , I would be out of there . I would never live in a place where I would need a gun for personal protection anyway. . A large noisy dog is a safer bet .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Well the guns we both have is for our jobs. Well I am not working now but my DH is. Dog is a better bet, but a few months ago there was an incident where there was a home invasion and they shot the dog cause they knew the dog was there. Granted, again they were bangers hell bent on revenge that broke into the rival's home. But the way things are going it could happen to an average citizen. The neighborhood I live in now is ok as it stands now, but I am noticing litle things. But what I do not understand is why are the public gojng to church and praying to god to help? It hasn't worked yet and ther bangers shot into God's home!! I am not saying anything against praying, but its not working. I think the public needs to fall back and regroup and think of a better paln of action. A few people speaking up isn't gonna work. I am beginning to feel like live in Libya.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I completely understand your concern to want you and your family to at least be able to feel safe. Nobody should have to live in fear. Tell your husband that it's time to think about the safety of his own family. You all deserve that.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2011