spicy food

Does spicy food cause labor? This sounds stupid but i was told it did. . And my pregnancy craving is definately Jalapeno's. . Also if it does enduce labor. . When does it become a concern???

mandar

Asked by mandar at 12:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They say that many things can cause labor-mac and chees w/ worstachire sauce (spelling) Spicy food didn't do it for me--mine was sauerkraut and kielbasa
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If it induced labor, I would've had my baby months and months ago =]

I've heard it may or may not cause labor. Just like walking and sex and pineapple and raspberry leaf tea. I guess it's the luck of the draw =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It's one of the things that can supposedly get things to start, but it doesn't always work. You kinda have to decide if the other potential side affects (heartburn, diarrhea) are worth it, especially if it doesn't work!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Short of walking or having sex to stimulate contractions and bring on labor, I dont think spicey food or any other kind of food brings it on. When your baby is ready to meet the world things will happen but I seriously doubt spicef food brings it on. When it's time it's time.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It certainly won't cause preterm labor. And the peppers are really good for you so feast away if you like! As you get closer to time you are going to start wondering more and more about what you can do to get things going. Mostly just keep at your exercise routine (usually walking at that point because you can't do anything else!), get plenty of progesterone(semen and evening primrose oil) which will help soften your cervix in preparation for contractions. and get lots of rest because you'll need if for labor!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2008