Been trying to breastfeed and i cannot seem to get baby to latch on adult content

i am extremely large breasted and she almost was able to latch on would breast size have something to do with it? i never breastfed my others and i regretted it and i am trying but i am having to give her bottles because she does not latch on. any advice? i am getting ready to go to baby center and see if i can find any info to.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with my son. I am also large breasted and I do think that possibly has something to do with it. I had to use nipple shields to bf him because it was the ONLY way I could get him to latch on. Have you tried those? Also if you're not pumping, you should because it'll help your milk not to dry up. It is probably a good idea to go to a baby center or something like that. Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 7:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I know it must exhausting for you, the problem with large breasts is that even before pregnancy having large breasts depending on how big they are can bring poor posture, neck pain, headaches, etc. During pregnancy they become heavier and after delivery the pain in unbearable, that's why as pp said you'd need to pump milk before breastfeeding. Also with large breasts is recommended for the mom to position the baby in bed next to mom. This way mom and baby can relax and be comfortable. For moms with large breasts (cup size DDD and) breastfeeding not always comes easy.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 8:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• breast size *shouldn't* matter. Latching is really hard for some babies. You may need to consider seeing a lactation consultant. Here is a web site with some good info and articles. 

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• go to a la leche league site, and email or call a local member. they are awesome!!!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Breast size CAN and sometimes DOES make it difficult. Someone mentioned a lactation specialist, I would go that route with you. Also I have a friend that didn't like breastfeeding at ALL, so she pumped her milk and bottle fed, that is also an option if you have too much problem
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• the hospital should have a lactation consultant maybe call and see if they will help you keep up the good work mommy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• they sell shields at Babies R Us that I think can be used if you are large OR small breasted or for biting...try them out. I tried them for biting, but she didnt' like them...Yes, Breast size would have something to do with it in my opinion, b/c it would seem that it would stretch out your nipples?? Is that the case??
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• This article in particular is good.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Maybe it's becaue your breasts are engorges, making the nipple kindahard. Try manually expressng alittle bit of milk to soften them up before you nurse.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I wear an E and my nipples are huge. I found pumping beneficial because he was able to receive the nutrition and way less painful. Nipple size matters because some babies have smaller mouths try squeezing your AVA area. To like a hamburger and it should help. The boppy pillow is good for comfort. I stored milk and now i'm trying to dry up- OUCH the engorgement pain!
    Twokids201189

Answer by Twokids201189 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2011