How many resources do you waste, and how much pollution do you create

by buying new things that say "green" on the label instead of mending and continuing to use the things you already have? Is making sure everyone can see how green you are more important than actually conserving?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am quite certain I do not do enough. We are getting better. I am very good about reusing containers rather than using baggies, recycling and using/offering hand-me-downs rather than throwing them out or buying new. We are getting better about conserving water and electricity and I am trying to get better about using my reusable bags. I do reuse the plastics when I forget my reusable.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I do my best, I try to take shorter showers, not water my plants everyday and recycle, lots of recycling.

Answer by older at 8:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I actually do keep and fix everything we have until I cant anymore. My husband and I arent so sure about some of the new "green" technology and are the sort who will wait and make sure it is actually green, safe and worth our money.

Answer by gemgem at 8:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I really don't care for all that crap the says it's "green" or "organic". However, I reuse a lot of things, and we never buy anything new anyway, except for some clothes for the kids. I don't care if people think I'm "green" or not, that's none of their business. What matters most to me is what I actually do, not what I appear to be. I do know a lot of people in my neighborhood who most likely do it for appearance sake more than anything. But those people are transparent and fake anyway...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We conserve or recycle where we can, and I dont give a rats ass what the neighbors think about how green I do or dont live.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Water, electricity, gas...i'd give myself a D+. I give almost no thought to those things when i use them.

Stuff...A- I hate things that are designed to be disposable and i hate buying new stuff. I hate shopping, it takes up too much time and wastes money that i need to pay DS tuition.

I especially hate "green" things. That's just marketing and i resent anything that makes my feel like a consumer.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Oh, and I do like to do things that are organic for my garden, like make "poop tea" to fertilize. : )
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I never answered the second half of the question. No, I really don;t care how green people think I am! I don't load up my recycling bin to show off and I don't buy green products so the cashier can think anything in particular. It just seems like a good idea. We are switching over to 'green' slowly. I would never throw out something that works to get something 'greener'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

I may regret this but... what is 'poop tea'?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You put manure in water and let it "seep" for a couple of days. Then you can use it to water plants throughout the season. Don't let is sit for too long though, or it will stink.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2011