Questions about Unassisted Childbirth

Ok so I am just wondering how it all works out if I have my baby at home unassisted. How do I go about getting social security card and birth certificate? Do I have the baby at home and then go to hospital for us both to be checked out? I'm just trying to figure if I am do this how it all works and stuff so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You are at least having a mid wife right? Your mid-wife will be well versed in how you go about all the post birth formalities. The other thing to consider is in some, few states home birth is illegal depending on where you are you may need to look into a relaxed birthing center. Make sure to have a back up plan for complications.
    Anonymous

• it's not illegal in my state so I'm safe there.. And unassisted means no medical professionals around. I have looked into midwives and I'm not against it just don't know if I want anyone else there..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No medical intervention, unless there is a problem, I see no issue with. A midwife is a good idea because she will know the warning signs for danger and when to head to a center or hospital. You may also consider a doula though most midwives can play that role as well!
    Anonymous

• I think you need at least a midwife, what if something terrible happens (god forbid) you can never tell!
    but i think after the baby would be born you would need to legally go to the hospital. they need to check the baby and he needs his hep b shot and then they would do the soc sec card and birth certificate.
    im not for sure, but gl!
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 8:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Go talk to the ladies in the Birth is Normal group they will tell you what you need to know. Most of the women in the Q&A section will tell you your stupid and shouldn't have custody of your child.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• This wouldn't be my first child and its not stupid to want to birth at home with my medical intervention women do it everyday. I am also against the Hep B shot and vit K and ointment in the eyes but that does not make me a bad parent that just makes me well informed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I see nothing wrong with a well planned home birth. I so think it would be stupid not to have at least midwife there. Hiring a midwife is like hiring a friend. She will be with you through out the pregnancy getting to know you and you family. She will listen to your wishes and help you to make the best choice medically for you and you baby even with no medical intervention. She will make suggestions and go over pros and cons with you. This is also why you would interview several to make sure you had the one you were most comfortable with. The most important thing about having a midwife is that she is trained to know when something is not right. She is trained to know how to correct it or trained to know when it is beyond you or her and you need to get to a Doctor. It's not like having a stranger and 4 nurses in there every 4 hours. You will know her and she will know you and you will work together.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• not stupid... unwise. Stupid is a harsh word.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Call your local vital registration office and see how the paperwork thing works with a home birth :)
    LoraGardiner

Answer by LoraGardiner at 9:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Unassisted births are really wonderful!!
    :-D
    Preparing is obviously a priority~ which is what you are doing.

You can get your paperwork & info through UC sites... there is plenty to share. THIS may not be exactly the "ideal" place because not a lot of mainstream folks may appreciate the point.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2011