Was your mother a SAHM or a working mom?

And which are you? Do you think your mother had an influence on you in that way?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 8:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• My mom ran a daycare when my brother and I were little. When we were both in school full time she worked. Then she worked Midnights at the hospital and went to school full time during the day. And of course that influenced my decision to stay home with my kids, my mom is the best in the world to me.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My mom did both- stayed home for a few years and then went back to work. I work. Besides the fact that I couldn't afford to be a SAHM, I could never do it- I give you mommas all the credit in the world!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My mom was WAHM She always had at least 2 kids she was keeping for income. I loved it. I felt like I had siblings! I was an only child.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My mom was a working mom she had no choice! I always stayed at home ever since my first born 33 years ago, then I had my other two.

Answer by older at 8:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• home with us when we were really small but then when we were in school she worked as a waitress at night and then ddi nursding school and became a nursethen went into medical billing but always says she woulld have loved to stay home with us...says she feeols like she missed a lot with us. She is the ebiggest supported of me being a SAHM!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My mom was home until I was about 12 or 13, then she started working. I don't think it influenced me...I'm a working mom, luckily I can work from home full time...I used to go to the office 2 or 3 days a week, but now home all of the time.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• When I was little my mom worked full time. When my brothers ere little she got her real estate license so she had more wiggle room in her schedule for class trips and such. Now my parents have their own business so my mom can be home whenever my brothers need her (they are still in hs).
    I have worked. I've stayed home. For me it's up to our finances. Doesn't really have anything to do with what my mom did.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I remember my mom working two to three jobs at a time. As of Janurary I became a SAHM. I have been working since I got out of highschool, hell I worked 2 jobs while going to college. I think I got that from my mom(the working I mean). She raised 6 kids on her own. the only reason why I am not working now is because I am in school. But I will be getting back out there as soon as a graduate. I just can't see myself being a SAHM(no offense to any SAHM).
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Couldn't tell you; I was raised by my dad. From age 10 until 18 I spent hours home alone after school. I was also a latchkey kid. If I forgot my key at home in the morning my dad refused to bring it to me at school so I also remember several days of nearly freezing from 2:30 pm when I got home from school until 7-8pm when my dad would get home.

THAT reason is why I'm a SAHM and will do everything within my power to BE home when my kids come home from school.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• my Mom flip flopped around .... SAHM, college student, police transcriber.

I never intended to be a SAHM. I had my calender marked for the day my baby was 6 weeks old and old enough for daycare. Plans change though...... and my Mom (and her crazy bad parenting) influenced alot of things in my life/style/mothering but the whole SAHM isn't one of them.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011