How old were your kids and how did you tell them the easter bunny was not real

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 8:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wish people would just answer the question.

My son was 9. I actually let Santa slip while we were driving somewhere, and on that subject. So, since I let it slip about Santa; I told him about the Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy. I told him he couldn't tell other kids because they may still believe. He now wants to be the helper for his brother, and sister. He wasn't upset, he didn't cry. He had a big smile on his face when he knew it was mom and dad.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't think I will tell my kids that the Easter Bunny is not real. They will find out on their own. I don't remember my mom not telling me. I just kinda knew when I got to a certain age.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 8:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yeah, let them be young, innocent and have fun as long as they can.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It really annoys people when they won't let their kids believe in something magical. Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, all of these imaginary people are just a part of believing in magic and believing in something greater than themselves. What does Santa, Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy have in common? All of those people put other people before themselves. Santa takes presents to kids all over the world, the Easter Bunny does the same, and the Tooth Fairy gives money for teeth. As ridiculous as this may sound, I would rather have my kids believe in imaginary people who put others first than not be given the chance. My kids will eventually figure it out, but until they do, I will let them keep that innocence. Plus, their faces when they wake up is well worth it.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My son is 8. I've never told him the "easter bunny" wasn't real, he just kinda figured it out. I don't feel i ever told him "lies" either. We have a LOT of bunnies around our house. My son calls them all the easter bunny around this time of the year but he knows the are just bunnies. We have never celebrated easter in the religious traditional sense, but in celebration of springtime.

I do agree with krissyvelazques though. Nothing wrong with having some good clean fun and believing in something that puts a little sparkle in our heart.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• that's how it was for me too. my 8 year old saw the bags of stuff today (way to go mommy!) and he asked about what they were for and why he couldn't see it i just said "it' not for you" lol
    Ethans_Ma

Comment by Ethans_Ma (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• we never had to- I think once they found out about Santa they just knew...I still do Santa gifts- and we still do Easter baskets too!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My son has never believed in the Easter Bunny... he was 3 and the "easter bunny" came to visit him at daycare- he knew it was a guy in a suit. At least santa is sort of believable, how many children REALLY can't tell that the easter bunny is a guy in a suit? Now at 4 he knows that rabbits don't lay eggs or make chocolate. I never had to tell him, he just knew.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't believe in telling lies to children.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We've always told them the truth... I see no reason to show my children that lies are okay as long as they are fun...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2011