Do schools invite SAHMs to talk for "Career Day"?

I'm talking about the SAHMs who had never held a salary job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would guess not. Career day infers you have a career and staying at home with your children, while a blessing, is not a career.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Nobody says "I want to grow up to be a SAHM" when they're in 3rd grade.

Oh I did! It's all I ever wanted to be. I have 2 degrees, but still stay home with my kids.

Answer by missanc at 9:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I doubt it...as a SAHM I'm all for telling everyone who will listen that being SAHM is the hardest most rewarding job in the world....but no, it's not a career lol....so probably not
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I remember when I was in school there was a bit of SAHMs talk for carreer day .... I remember a few of them -- one of them also had a big garden and brought in flowers and tomatoes, one brought in cookies that she homemade, and I remember one talking about how she liked to sew and had made alot of her families clothing ( her daughter was then teased by some other kids because " her mom makes her clothes" ) lol......

so I am sure they changed it now...but i remember them talking and a fire fighter ( my dad ) ---- but cant remember any of the others talking about their careers
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I could see if they had something to offer like what 2lilbumblebees said. Or if they had a home based business or a popular blog that contributed to the community or society in some way.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Why would they be? It's not a career.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 10:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Why would SAHM's who've never been gainfully employed be invited to speak at "Career Day"?
    spoiled_wife

Answer by spoiled_wife at 8:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Not sure what they would talk about that's so different from any other household. SAHMs don't do anything above and beyond what working moms do. Not that it's not a great thing for those who do it, just that it's not something that can be discussed at length.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Nobody says "I want to grow up to be a SAHM" when they're in 3rd grade. So, no, I wouldn't imagine they would be.
    I am a SaHM, BTW, so don't take it offensively.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think if a SAHM came forth with very good/strong SAHM qualities (gardener, home baker, sewer) I think they would accept it. But if they put SAHM on the list of "wanted professionals for career day".. SO many moms (from A+ mom, to F-) would come forward & then it would be all out war! LOL..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2011