What do you think of

the redistribution of wealth ~

Redistribution of wealth is the transfer of income, wealth or property from some individuals to others caused by a social mechanism such as taxation, monetary policies, welfare, nationalization, charity or tort law.[1] Most often it refers to progressive redistribution, from the rich to the poor, although it may also refer to regressive redistribution, from the poor to the rich.[2] The desirability and effects of redistribution are actively debated on ethical and economic grounds.

BoundHearts

Asked by BoundHearts at 9:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe redistribution of wealth, plain and simple, is legalized theft.

Just because someone does well and makes a lot of money through their hard work doesn't mean that they should have it taken from them and given to someone else. It should be their choice to share it with others in whatever way they decide whether it be gifts, charitible contributions, etc.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Why is anyone entitled to what someone else worked hard to earn?
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• "isn't it stealing from the people who have worked to get their money and where they are .......... "

Yes it is stealing. I'm all for helping a person get a hand up when they've been down. I've been there myself. However, when you take from the hard working people, to give to the lazy asses who wouldn't try to work if their lives depended on it, then that's just plain theft, imo. Everyone should have the same opportunity, but what they do with that opportunity is entirely up to the individuals, NOT on the government. If you are given a hand up and a good opportunity, and you piss it away, you shouldn't get another chance to steal the life away from others...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• The end result is Communism.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It is stealing. I started with nothing and worked my butt off. Now I'm one of those seen as having "more than my share." How pray tell is that. I worked for every penny of it. Anybody with enough gumption and drive can be successful.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• IF YOU CONTINUE TO GIVE MONEY TO POOR PEOPLE B/C THEY HAVE NO JOB INSTEAD OF INCOURAGEING TO GET A JOB YOU ARE ONLY INCOURAGEING THEM TO NOT WORK AND RECV MORE FREE MONEY
    THATS CALLED A WLFARE STATE ~ IF YOU CONTINUE THIS PATH THATS ALL WE WILL EVER BE AND WE WILL EMPTY THE WALLET OF OUR COUNTRY.

Exactly! And we are quickly becoming a nation of "takers" instead of "makers".
    American households have taken $2.3 trillion in government support in 2010. American households paid only $2.2 trillion in taxes. There it is the undeniable truth, Americans take more than they make.

According to the WSJ, there are nearly twice as many government workers (22.5 million) as manufacturing workers (11.5 million). The worst stat is “more Americans work for the government than work in construction, farming, fishing, forestry, manufacturing, mining and utilities combined.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Either they're stealing your money when you pay taxes or they're not.

I'm not talking about taxes that provide for gov't services like the military, police & fire (which are usually local), and I don't think the OP is either, but I could be wrong.

"Redistribution of wealth is the transfer of income, wealth or property from some individuals to others"

That is talking about taking money from someone who has to give to someone who doesn't have as much. Again, if someone who has money, wealth, property that they have earned, why should it be taken from them and given to someone that didn't earn it?

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Without a source of income the government has no way to fund anything including basic protections that it provides like police, fire, ambulance and military. None of those exist without the "redistribution of wealth". So you can give up the idea of redistribution of wealth and watch the government collapse if that's what you really want.

WOW. I don't think anyone is saying that paying taxes to fund things like the military is redistribution of wealth, or saying we shouldn't be doing that. But why should money be taken from successful people just because they are "rich" so it can be given to people that did nothing to earn it just because they don't have as much?
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Or are you suggesting anarchy, with no actual government there to take care of any of your needs? Without a source of income the government has no way to fund anything including basic protections that it provides like police, fire, ambulance and military. None of those exist without the "redistribution of wealth". So you can give up the idea of redistribution of wealth and watch the government collapse if that's what you really want.

Why do people always try that failed argument of the fire debt, police and such? Whe someone is talking redistribution of wealth they are talking social justice, also known as socialism, communism etc. World of difference.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• But it's only stealing if it goes to programs you DON'T want to support?

It is stealing when the federal government uses it to support programs that are not within their constitutional right to have.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2011