Do you make sure your children know the rules/instructions before letting them participate in a community event? *Vent* adult content

This is about the community easter egg hunt this evening.

I don't understand why people don't control their fucking kids. There is absolutely no reason why my kids (and about 100 others) should have to go home after waiting forever with absolutely nothing to show for it. There's a reason they handed a paper to everyone with the instructions on it!!!!

Everyone was instructed to wait outside the gates to the baseball field and when they opened them to line up along the fence to wait for the buzzer to start getting eggs. Every fucking kid who went in the fence first starting running and grabbing eggs as soon as they got in... before the buzzer!! Not all the kids were even in the field yet! There were kids with pillow cases full and then hundreds of 4, 5 & 6 yr olds with empty baskets. It was pathetic on the parents part. They should have told their kids how it was going to go before they let them in there!

My 4, 5 & 6 yr old all knew the rules and they did what they were supposed to and left with empty baskets. My youngest cried on the way back to the car that he lost and all 3 kids had empty baskets. We're gonna do an egg hunt at home tomorrow or sunday for them cuz I feel so bad.

I'm just mad that half the other parents didn't give a shit. Even the 3 and under group did what they were supposed to!

bdflykisses

Asked by bdflykisses at 9:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• thats why i didnt take my son to the easter egg hunt..my friends told me their kids got trampled over. I agree some parents are pretty sorry.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• They had the age groups separated enough that no kids got trampled. It was well planned by the people who set it up. It's just those crappy parents.. ugh. I'm still upset. There are two more tomorrow and there's no way I'm gonna take my pregnant a** up there to the park to try it again.. I hate seeing my little monsters so upset. =(
    bdflykisses

Comment by bdflykisses (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have YET to EVER see a well organized Easter egg hunt outside of my own back yard!!! While the parents are totally to blame it seems like the staff would be prepared to parental idiocy as it happens EVERY time. (Can you tell I hate Easter egg hunts?)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I took my son to one where the rule was that each child was to collect 12 eggs and then be done. There were parents who were encouraging their children to get more because they thought the rule was stupid. I heard them say it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• So I guess my point is--it's not the don't control their kids, it's that many times, they don't think the rules should apply to their kid.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• And that is exactly why we stay away from things like that. I don't trust other kids or their parents. I would rather shelter DD from that as long as I possibly can.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think they should have made the kids who went ahead give up their eggs and given them to the kids who did it right and didn't get any.
    bdflykisses

Comment by bdflykisses (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We have never attended one (thankfully huh?) my MIL does take my dd though, she never complains but dd doesnt come home with but a few things (no complaints).
    I think the people running the egg hunt should take control if the parents dont... if not if I got caught on the right day, i may find myself "schooling" some kids on the rules..
    I think the egg limit is a great idea! but it would be hard to enforce with all those kids. and the only ones that would win in that situation most likely are the ones that would take more than their share..

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would be upset too. We took our kids (6,4, 18 months) to a friend's birthday party. They had over 50 people at their house and it was crazy. First off, if I has known there would be that many people at the party, we never would have gone. At the party they had several pinatas, but because there were so many bigger kids, my kids got trampled and didn't get anything. It was awful!! That is why we are going to have an Easter egg hunt at our house. This will make sure that my kids get something out of the ordeal. Sorry about your kids, and I feel the same way you do. Even if I have to hold my kids down, I make sure they play fair. Sorry. :(

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• make people pay, even two bucks would get rid of a lot of kids
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2011