Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

If I have been recieving threatening phone calls from my childs father and I have custodial custody don't I have the right to keep my child away from him and change my number?

I want to know what you ladies think!! I have talked to the dvs (domestic violence service) and they told me since he is on support and i have custodial custody i can keep my child away and avoid any contact with him.

Answer Question

Asked by mommymamamom at 9:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 5 (75 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • I would contact the police department to get a Restraining order against the father if he is making threats, that would definitely allow you to legally keep your child away from him.

    Answer by mlawson803 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

  • simple. have proof file a police report. Call friend of court monday and inform him n get additional advice. bam!

    Answer by Jazmineamomma at 9:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

  • I agree with PP. If there is a visitation order, you do not have a legal right to violate it unless there is a restraining order that includes the child. I know of someone who had a restraining order against their ex, but she still had to give the ex visitation. Unless the restraining order includes the child, you must follow whatever visitation arrangements are laid out in the order.

    Answer by layh41407 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

  • I don't think you can if there is a visitation order in place either. Keep voice mails, text messages etc. Call the cops. Go file for a restraining order.


    Answer by Christine0813 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

  • It differs from state to state; hypothetically if my husband became abusive I would have to prove he is a danger to the children or that he abused me in front of them, to start he'd be given supervised visits but once he proved he wasn't a danger to the kids he'd still get his visitation - that's what happened to my sister. Luckily the SOB gave up on my sister and their DD, he moved away and stopped paying child support - when the court kept tracking him down and taking it from his wages he signed over his rights so now my sister's husband has legally adopted her and my sister is finally happy.

    Answer by anon1986East at 10:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

  • ...get a Restraining order against the father if he is making threats, that would definitely allow you to legally keep your child away from him. <<----- This for sure!!!

    Answer by Crafty26 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

  • wow...i can't believe that if the father is threatening the Mother, he still can see the kids. I am not saying your wrong (since I don't know the laws) just sounds messed up to me.

    I would call your lawyer first thing the morning and see what you can do.

    Good Luck.

    Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 5:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • Depending on where you live it might be an actual crime to make threats over the telephone. First I'd recommend documenting EVERYTHING! Save texts and voicemails. Next I would would try to obtail a personal protection order. If you feel threatened I don't think you should have to expose your children to what might become a dangerous situation.

    Answer by tspillane at 6:10 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • We came to an agreement the he can see his child every other weekend so i got legal advice and was told since i have custodial custody of him i do not have to let him take my child. If he wants to see my child he will have to go to court and until its a court order he cant do anything. He is documented in the system about all his threats so there for if it happens again and we go to court they will see what he has been doing.

    Comment by mommymamamom (original poster) at 5:07 PM on May. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.