• In the Spotlight:

how to tell if my child is deaf or not?

my 5 month old child's ear drums have moved, she is not moving her hear when u call her name or when u snap your fingers or anthing, she hears you when your right in front of her but not on the side of her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• take him to the doctor
    ADENSMOMMY123

Answer by ADENSMOMMY123 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• maybe she is just focused elsewhere - if she cant see that you want her attention she may just be ignoring other noises cause she is focused on the dog or something.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Whenever you have a large concern like this, your first call should be to the doctor. Just call and tell them you want a full hearing evaluation.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I worried about my son. The pediatrition told me, "deaf babies don't cry". That doesn't mean she doesn't have hearing loss. I'd get it checked if your mother's instinct tells you to!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 5:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• i would call the doctor thats for sure, but also try to startle her by making a load noise to see if she jumps :o)
    ladyinpink331

Answer by ladyinpink331 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• The best thing to do is take your child to a hearing doctor that can do a total eval of your child. NO ONE ELSE but a specialist can tell you about the childs hearing. You need to do this as soon as possible so that you can know what to do if you do have a problem.
    dbooksplus

Answer by dbooksplus at 7:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2008