Do you raise your child to be aware of his spirituality?

filmom2ethan

Asked by filmom2ethan at 10:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I already know some people are going to think it crazy, but Yes! Of course. Many thought it was awful that we would advise our daughters to pray on a question a week or so ago. However, I believe in God and knowing and loving my creator has given me, and my daughters, and identity and worth that is beyond the superficial standards this world and our culture teach. If I believe in a loving, faithful, amazing God, why would I not teach such truth to my kids?

There have only been benefits from our spiritual life to my family. I am careful to teach my children not to judge, but to love. I have enough trouble dealing with the ways I need to grow and improve, so I don't use my time judging others. I think one of the main things that people turn against God is religion! I know how it felt to be told that I wasn't good enough as I was, so I don't do that to others. God meets everyone exactly where they're at.
    DarlaHood

Answer by DarlaHood at 10:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My DD has no spirituality. Spirituality is not a birth right. It is a choice. When she chooses to research and make a decision on what to believe then that is her spirituality.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If you don't take your child to church or teach him or her about God, the child will find something else to believe in, like fairies, super heroes, etc... Our laws and ethics are rooted in the Bible. Thus, why not teach your child the Bible by relating child appropriate stories from it to them?
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 12:15 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• i teach my children about God and the bible. it was the way i was raised.
    angelbritnee

Answer by angelbritnee at 12:21 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Sure do.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• If you don't take your child to church or teach him or her about God, the child will find something else to believe in, like fairies, super heroes, etc..

A little confused about what this means- my kids believe in God and when they were younger they believed in super heros and fairies, like tinkerbell- (but I think there are other kinds of fairies, spelled differently- that others believe in) whats the connection- what am I missing?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Yes you do! Spirituality means the basic goodness in all of us. A child is a perfect being. By that I mean, God instills his Spirit in all of us at birth. We love because He first loved us and when we teach our children how to share and hug and reach out to those they trust, that is making them aware of their Spirituality. Teaching a child to be positive and how to treat others with respect and kindness is making them aware of their Spirituality. Looking into a child's eyes is like looking into the eyes of Jesus. Pure and innocent and open. They will soak up and respond to their surroundings. Nature and beauty is all around them and we need to make them aware of all that is theirs.
    And the bonus is, we can get back to our Spirituality through our children.
    pookie60

Answer by pookie60 at 2:40 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• With him only being 3, we haven't really started any of that yet. But I do plan on raising him to be informed on all of his choices, by teaching him as much as I can about religion and faith, and encourage him to find for himself what resonates with him and to follow his path, whatever that may be. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:17 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Who is the "he" or "his" we are referring. Frankly I raise my children to be good compassionate people and make wise decisions for themselves. They don't need any spirituality to accomplish it. when they are older they will choose whatever path speaks to them, whether it be rooted in religions or not.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think that maybe this is what this country needs ... children that are less materialistic, but who are more considerate of how their behavior affects themselves and the people around them.
    filmom2ethan

Comment by filmom2ethan (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2011