Do you try to shield your younger children from foul language?

Do you curse freely in front of them and/or allow others to? In social networking sites, knowing your child may see what is there by reading something over your shoulder as they are playing behind you, do you try to keep cursing to a bare minimum as much as you physically can?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My husband and I don't swear in front of our kids. We try to keep the people around us from cussing and they are pretty good about it

altho one of my son's first word was 'oh shit' after he heard it from his grandmother .. and she thought it was cute.. that was the last time it happened urghh
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• do you try to keep cursing to a bare minimum as much as you physically can?

====

No, not really. I have had to explain to my 4 year old that there are some words that he should wait to use until he's much older, otherwise people might think that he has a "bad mommy".  His response was: "Well damn it... fuck them!"   

Just kidding!

Anyway, I also explained that words are just words, but some people get upset hearing them and give those words more power than they should. 

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 10:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I do not 'sheild' my son, as that is impossible out in public. We do not curse in our home. Others respect our views and try not to curse in front of us (most people we associate with don't curse either). We teach our son our values: that there are more appropriate words to use, cursing is offensive, and cursing is uneducated. Our son thinks that kids who use curse words or 'bad' language are less intelligent ('stupid' as he says) because they think it makes them sound cool, but it makes them sound stupid (because our values have rubbed off on him!). I'm sure when he's in high school he will go through a phase like every young adult does, but we think our values will prevail in the long run and in the big scheme of things.

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I did try to shield them but it's everywhere even on tv so we just discussed it. I told them it shows low class and if they didn't want to be considered trash not to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• No i do not i have to be VERY mad to let a cuss word slip. People do cuss around them i can not control what people say but i will walk away and i explain that those are bad and mean words to use. And when one slips out of my mouth my dd will say ohhh im telling daddy lol but i always tell her sorry and thank you for reminding me.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 10:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We do not use curse words. It is frowned upon in our community too. None of the moms use bad language that I know of, and my children would not be allowed to go to a house where the parents or children had foul mouths. I don't want them picking that up.

We explain to our children that people who swear do not have the vocabulary to express themselves properly and therefore have to resort to cursing.

Words may not have power to harm on their own, but they still have definitions, tone, and can be used as a measure of class. Cursing is not impressive or attractive and really in my opinion is very unnecessary.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:43 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My husband and I cuss when our son is not around. I think that words only have as much power as you give them. I might say "damn", but it's not like it holds any horribly offensive meaning.With that being said, I still won't allow my son to cuss as a child, and I will try not to cuss around him just to provide a good example. I'd rather focus on teaching him manners and proper language than try to shield him from it, though. Kids are going to hear cuss words regardless of how hard you try to prevent it. You just have to teach them not to use those words, and why.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:59 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• We try and watch what we say in front of our kids.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 7:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I am not a big curse person, but I knew they would hear them elsewhere, just told them they were nasty words that did not belong in their sweet mouths.

Answer by older at 9:12 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• i'm still pregnant with my first but yes i will
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2011