If my fiance totally sucks at cleaning, will having our baby change his prospective?

he has the worst cleaning habbits in the world...and his mother taught him nothing about how to 'take care' of himself(if it wasn't for one of his ex's, he wouldn't know how to do his own laundry)... i have asked him to give it a better go from time to time, but he just could care less... i have tried Not going behind him, but he will just leave the house messy and gross... some of these things i truly Don't think he understands... when we have our first baby in Oct, i can't help but think that he will 'actually Want' to help more and be a bit more clean...
Does having a baby change his way of life as much as it does mine? I already feel like this has changed my way of life so much, and have changed my prospective for sure.
and Maybe, Will it promote him to 'want' to teach a healthy, clean life to our child... maybe 'learn' with our child??

jayme009

Asked by jayme009 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• There's always that possbility he will change, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I don't think having a baby around will change his perspective on things honestly.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 10:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i doubt it. Some people are just like that....some people are clean freaks, others are moderate, some people could just care less. lol

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i don't think it will change
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I seriously doubt it will do anything to change him. You will just have two people to clean up after instead of one.
    cowboysgirl3227

Answer by cowboysgirl3227 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• NO!!! My husband is the same way-- his mom felt it was more important to be his friend that his parent, and only made him do "chores" that he liked to do... which was NOTHING. He had "dish night" one night a week--wahoo.

When we moved in together, he assumed I would do all the housecleaning since I was the woman. Big mistake--on his part. He now helps out with chores, but I have to leave a short list of things he has to do, otherwise it just doesn't occur to him to do it. For instance, the litterbox can stink to high heaven but it honestly won't occur to him to scoop it out or change it.

Having a baby compounds this problem. Now you're not only sleep-deprived, you're still having to fight to get him to help you more. Fortunately, my husband recognized this shortcoming, and realized he needed to step it up, but it's been a struggle. We have finally found some balance... but my house is not clean, by my standards.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I was in the same dilemma and the only way he will change that habit is if he wants to change that habit. My husband and I have been together for 7 years and we have 2 kids and they still didn't change his ways. If it really bothers you and he wont change, then I say don't marry him yet. That is one of my biggest regrets. My husband is 38 and still doesn't clean up after himself 99% of the time and he sure doesn't clean up after the kids.
    kajunmomma

Answer by kajunmomma at 12:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• good luck

mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• probably not. sorry.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I figure any time you ask yourself 'will they change' it's best to just count on the answer being no
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011