What is wrong with my boy?

He is 10 yrs. old we were getting ready to watch a movie I let him be in charge of the remote we popped in a movie into the DVD (playstation3) I get a call from his dad so I ask him to pause it. He says he wants to play a game I tell him no some time goes by and he says he wants to talk to his dad so I pass the phone he ask his dad if he could play a game on the playstation3 while me & his dad talk his dad told him NO your mother just told you know and you turn around and ask me.
OK so while I am on the phone he is picking on his sister I ask him to stop it or you will goto bed but no he has to have the last word he calls his sister one last name I am like ok that's it you blew get your butt to bed then his sister starts to cry bc now she has to go to bed too so stupid me I give in and give them another chance.
Now he is constantly asking me for ice cream every ten minutes (I did say they can have some earlier) but that was before I knew he was going to act up. He is getting on my nerves I feel like just putting them to bed and that's that. My real question here is WHY is he behaving this way....arg! He really is a good kid.
Thanks Ladies...sorry I had to vent a little (or should I say alot)...sigh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• he's just trying to push your buttons
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• What can I do when they try to push my buttons? I don't want to give in or get upset either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• He's bored ,wants attention,having fun with you seeing what he can get away with.
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Don't give in. If you threaten something don't give in when they beg you for that extra one more chance. It is really hard to do, trust me, I've been there. They might not be happy when you punish them, but eventually they will have more respect for you than if your threats are just empty. (my mom was one who never followed through on her threats, it did nothing for me. Luckily, I had a grandmother who knew how to get through to me.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'm guessing since dad called and interrupted family movie night he got hurt. Kids don't know how to express themselves well. I wouldn't have punished him. I would have talked it out with him.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• He's not trying to push your buttons. He's trying to communicate with you. How about giving him some "just us" time and talking to him instead of thinking what's he's doing is about you. It's about him. You push "us time" on the back burner when dad called, you wouldn't let him do something he wanted to do while he was waiting for you to get back to family time then you end it all with punishing him for being disappointed you and dad screwed up his quality time with you. That's just wrong. Next time call dad before you settle in for time with the kids. It makes them feel unimportant when you dismiss them to chat with someone else. Think about how HE feels.
    Anonymous

• well send him to bed and let sister stay up and maybe hes just bored my kids act like that and or say they are bored i say good go clean your room
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My 9 year old is identical it sounds like! Hes doing everything he can to piss us off... We just try to talk to him and to find out if something is bothering him, But most of the time hes just pushing the buttons and we take things away for the rest of the day(hes learning to read really well lol) And then we start over the next day... we go day by day because of my sons personality. but maybe u can take things away or even add things to his chores for the day when he acts out. Because Ive learned through councelors to ignore the bad behavior to get attention and whenever a child does good behavior to get attention praise them for it and talk to them about good attention and bad attention etc... Just some thoughts my son has a behavior therapist that has helped us through alot. Hope I helped.
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• He's probably just testing you to see what he can get by with. They all do that at some point.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:28 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• dont give in, if you said he was going to bed if didnt behave then send him. but dont punish the sis of some thing he did. when he has to go to bed and she doesnt then maybe he will try to be better so he can stay up with the family. just a thought
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 12:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2011