Does your child have Autism or do you know someone with Autism?

To the parents/friends of a child with Autism (or Asberger's), please help, as I am going through the motions of getting a good sense of what it's like. Thank you soo very much in advance.
a) What are some experiences and lessons learned from having a child with autism?
b) How was the assessment process carried out in terms of getting a diagnosis and prognosis/treatment/accommodations (if any)?
c) What services/accommodations have your child received, and how are they delivered at school, home or work?
d) What are your feelings/emotions as you go through the process of raising your child?
e) What has been helpful, and what would you suggest for others going through the process?
f) How is your child doing now? Has he/she gotten better after receiving help or making adjustments to the family lifestyle?
g) What do you anticipate for the future?

Liz4Life

Asked by Liz4Life at 10:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 9 yr old son has Aspergers. One of the most difficult parts of the assessment/diagnosis process is that it is rarely cut and dry. I first sought help for my son at age 4, and it took almost 5 years to get an accurate diagnosis, but even now the experts do not agree on a diagnosis. With all of the information I have collected over the years, getting to know my son, looking at assessments he has been given, listening to the different diagnoses, I have somewhat settled on what I feel best fits my son.

I find in some ways it helps to have a "label" because it makes it a little easier to target treatment.

With high functioning Aspergers he does not qualify for any services through the state. We homeschool, we pay out of pocket for social skills classes, and horseback riding, insurance covers counseling. It gets better, you learn to work with your child, but you have to realize that you can't change who they are by parenting.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My dd is 5.5 and has VERY high funcitioning aspergers.

She is hilarious :)

I knew when she was one year old that something wasnt exactly right...by 18 months I KNEW I was right.

Tried to blame it on everything else BUT aspergers. Kept coming right back to that though. I was sad, mad, depressed...until one day while talking to her wonderful DR.

I was crying and the Dr told me that she thought she herself was aspergers and that was why she was able to finish med school so easily...aspergers children are usually very bright!

It hit me like a ton of bricks...MY DD could one day be a DR!!!! Anything she wants! She is brilliant...has been reading since 18 months old.

So even though a few things slow her down, she has gifts that other children do not have! She has an IEP...mainly focused on her behavior...she is a bit hyper....but she also has a gifted IEP. She has a very high IQ.
    Sorry for not
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• no need to be sorry
    this is a great start!
    thanks you guys!
    Liz4Life

Comment by Liz4Life (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My soon to be 12 yr old DD has Asperger's..she was dx'ed in 2007..it has been difficult at times but despite everything she has come such a long way. Of course both my hubby and I were a lil in denial at first..I mean you hear the word autism in relation to your child and it can be hard to fathom...But we realized this how God made her...she wouldn't be who she is with her Asperger's. And it's mainly her social skills and emotions that she struggles with most..she does have some learning difficulties..but she still brings hoke all passing grades..mostly A's and B's....she works very hard. She loves being on her laptop and playing games..and she does have her own Facebook but I check it all the time and I know her user name and password..and she has to ask before she can friend anyone. She was dx'ed through the school and they have bent over backwards to help her succeed.She does quailify for a number of services as well.
    faithfultxmama

Answer by faithfultxmama at 12:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My nefew has aspergers and tourettes. He is high functioning. He had problems with physical closeness (hugs, touching, space). We would respect that, but asked to hug him. He felt in control of it and now at age 18, he is very comfortable with this. He is smart as all can be. He reads a lot! I think that does have to do with aspergers. I've worked with many kids and families with every range of autism and other developemental needs. Many of these kids who are loved and worked with in a positve way, the average person cannot even tell they have aspergers, becasue they come so far. Getting educated is the right first step to take op. Join a good support group, they will help greatly. Everything will be fine. I have a hard time seeing apergers as a disablity after all the wonderful kids i've worked with and how great they are turning out/have turned out.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 12:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2011