$400 birthday money.

You are 27yo. married w/ a 4yo daughter. You are living at parents house. Trying to save money for your first home. You really want something (nice new tv, bracelet, watch, hobby item) & know you will get about $400 in birthday money...
Do you save your money for your home? Do you take your GIFT money & use it for something you want?

-What would you do if ur a SAHM & this was your bday & money was from your family?
-What would you do if this was your hubby (working) and this was his bday money from his family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• If you are not in a good situation then no matter who the money is for or what the occasion is you should do what the family needs you to do. There will come a time when you won't need to be so frugal. I get money from certain relatives for my bday but never my om. My mom knows that the last thing I spend money on is myself so she will buy me something she knows I would never buy myself. Like my Kindle. Which I think is kind of nice of her, actually.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would get something small (maybe under $50) and put the rest towards bills or towards saving for the house.
    Anonymous

• If it was me, I would save it for a house.If it was my DH, he would probably just spend it.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i would save the money so i could get my own home
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• well actually it depends on what you want either way it was for your bday you can do what you want with it if they wouldve gave you gifts you still wouldnt have the money for the house but if you want to move out real bad maybe you would want to save it the point is do what you want with it either one of u its a gift not bill money
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 8:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I would at least use some of it to buy myself something I've been coveting, but I wouldn't feel guilty if I spent it all on myself, since it is birthday money. Really, it's yours, do what you want.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Do you think 1 spouse has the right to give their opinion on what you should do with your bday money?
    If its my bday, should he have a say in my bday money?
    If its his, can i give my opinion on what to do with his bday money?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Well if it were me and it was my birthday money I would take a small portion of the birthday money and buy myself a little something and the rest I would put in a savings account at the bank and use that toward the 'house fund'.
    If the money was for my hubs birthday then I would say his money he gets to choose how he wants to spend it. Knowing my hubs he would use it to pay bills and if there was any left over he would put it in the 'house fund'.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I'd save it
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 3:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I wish I could save it but I always end up spending mine on kids stuff lol
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2011