Help

So ever since my son was born he has thrown major fits when he was a baby he would throw himself back and hit his head on the floor and now that he is 2 1/2 years old his fits going on longer for hours and hours i have tried not giving him attention throwing him in his room talking to him and nothing has worked he screams crys throws anything in site and if there is another child around him he will hurt the other child out of anger and he will get in trouble for it but he will do it again and again because he is angry. But not only does he throw these fits in the day he throws them before bed and while he is asleep it will kick and scream and he is sleeping the whole time and this has been going on since he was baby i just dont know what to do anymore the fits have gotten out of control especially the one day were i made sure all my drawers were safety proof and some how he ended up getting a knife out and stabbing the couch

Cassie2208

Asked by Cassie2208 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow... I'm sorry. I don't really have any advice but maybe you should ask a doctor. I would say terrible twos (?) but since he's doing it in his sleep also it could be something else. Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 11:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• ya i know i was thinking of taking him to his doctor because of the fits at night and he pees through his diaper in the night we throws a fit i figure he is like his dad which is very bipolar and adhd but i just dont know what to do anymore
    Cassie2208

Comment by Cassie2208 (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I agree talk to your doctor.
    Honestly my first thought reading this was schizophrenia but it could be something as simple as a really bad case of terrible twos.
    Either way good luck and god bless you!
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• What you described is way beyond "Terrible 2's". You need to take him to his doctor and have him evaluated. If he has been doing this since he was an infant, there may be something wrong.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Not sure what to do about during the day, but have you ever thought about trying to play soothing music for him at night? Or even ocean sounds? Sometimes it works like a charm; it gets him into that deeper sleep. . .
    LoraGardiner

Answer by LoraGardiner at 11:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• well see i took him to the doctor when he was about 6 months when started sitting up because the fits were getting bad because he would sit up and throw back and he would make sure he was in the kitchen to do it because the floor was a lot harder so he would bang his head on that and i took him in and they said it was normal he was just looking for attention so im hoping to take him again and hoping they dont say its just for attention he is fine and when he was a baby i did try music but he would cry more and more i tryed ocean music lullabye music anthing soothing and he just did not like it and to this day he dont like it at all
    Cassie2208

Comment by Cassie2208 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It maybe autism in some sort, or maybe his way of getting your attention?
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 2:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I agree with sweetangie, especially if this has been going on for most of his life. Get a referral for an MRI/EEG as well, to rule out possible neurological causes.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 8:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2011