Telling people the truth....being totally honest with other people.

I have always had a problem telling people how I really feel about EVERYTHING. Standing up for what I believe in, confronting people, or telling people when they hurt me. I'm afraid of hurting their feelings...which I really don't want to do, but it's almost like living a lie if you can't communicate honestly with others.
So, how do you cope with the consequences of honesty? I want to know how I can be honest and communicate and be able to be ok even if someone isn't ok when I am honest with them???
Please bump! I'd like a lot of feedback. Thank you soo much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• I have always been concerned with hurting others feelings, even when they had no regard for mine. After years of "holding it in" I started having problems with chest pain. It was BP related due to stress and suppression. I now, tactfully, set my boundaries, let people know when they've overstepped or offended and I just let the small things go. It's not worth my health. It's not easy to do at first, because you'll get that "what if they get mad" creep in. But you tell yourself you are as important as they are and have a right to an opinion and to be treated respectfully!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I am also very blunt. Just know you can be honest yet not rude. If people can't handle the truth then that's up to them
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I expect some of my truths will be hurtful and I move on.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I used to be really honest and blunt. Now I have better self esteem and firmer boundaries. I understand where I fit in, in life and I know how to protect myself. Thus, my feelings are not getting hurt nearly as often. Perhaps you should read the book "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" to get a better perspective.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 11:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I am a person that has to tell the truth, I cannot lie to people or I won't rather. But I am very sensitive about peoples feelings most of the time. What kind of truth are you wanting to tell? That makes a huge difference! Telling someone they need help for example you may not want to attempt on your own. It depends on the situation.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Truthfully, you probably CAN'T help them be ok with it. But remember they saying--To thine own self be true. That's what you have to do. CoffeeWriter recommended a good book. It's by Joyce Meyer. 2 more of her books that might interest you are: Me And My Big Mouth and A Confident Woman. The second one is awesome. It helped me to change my life--it really did. Good luck.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• depends on the person. My sil threatened me for over a year, sending emails telling me that if I wanted to see my niece then I 'better start being honest' I think she'd read my blogs and assume they were about here.
    they were not.

So one day she pushed my buttons one to many times and I told her in the nicest way possible that the whole world didn't revolve around her, that when it came to so many alleged issues that she just kept sending me emails accusing me of things that couldn't have been further from the the truth.
    then when it came down to it, her feelings were not the point of things so feel any way she wanted.

things are better now, but I was considered to be the mean B*tch for finally telling her to back off and leave me alone.

I always feel that honesty is the best policy, but keep in mind that not everyone can handle it.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• The truth will set you free...yes it hurts sometimes, but in the long run you and the person you're talking to will both feel better.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Tell the truth but say it in a respectful manner. Sometimes though, there's no nice way of saying things, depending on what it is.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 11:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have the same problem. But I would rather be truthful than walking around eggshells with people.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 23, 2011