Does your toddler constantly whin for no reason?

I have a 3yr old and he constantly whins for the smallest thing. It gets aggravating like sometimes if he cant fix something then he does it or if I tell him no for certain things he does it. Sometimes I feel because he is the only child right now could that be a big part why he acts like this?

mystery8307

Asked by mystery8307 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Him being an only child is NOT a reason for him to be whining. My son is an only child and he has NEVER been allowed to whine. I do not tolerate whining, especially out of a 3 year old

Sorry, but in my opinin, he is whining because he is allowed to do so. Stop letting him and he will stop. Don't give him what he wants if he whines, he is old enough to TELL you what he wants.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My three year old is the best whiner! lol I just tell him that I can't hear him or I don't understand what he is saying and his voice usually changes. I just wish he would say it without whining to begin with. He isn't an only child he is in the middle. His personality is different from my other kids. He is very sensitive and needy compared to them. I just figured that was why he whined for some reason.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My three year old whines a lot, too. I get her to quite by telling her that I don't listen to whining little girls and that when she's ready to talk normally then I will listen to her. Then I ignore her until she stops. Sometimes she stops immediately, but sometimes it takes a few minutes.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You need to figure out what kind of temperament he has and work with it. There are Easy, Difficult, and Slow-to-warm Up....none of which are bad. I actually have the Difficult Child. And I've had to change the way I parent her because of it. It is working so far. Because I've accepted the way she is and how her temperament is and the way that I react to it.

Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Kids are so sweet and manipulative LOL Whining works because he doesnt stop doing it. That tells me that when he whines, you respond. Its basic child psychology. When my son tried whining as a toddler I held my hands over my ears like it was causing me imense pain and said to him loudly "Oh MAN! I really want to help you but I just cant understand you when you use your whining voice! Could you use your big boy voice please so we can get this worked out for you"
    Amazingly it stopped.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 12:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I have been telling my daughter who's 3, that I can't understand whining and I can't help her until she uses her words. Then if she keeps whining, i send her to her room until she is finished. It is an uphill battle and somedays I just want to pull my hair out, but I refuse to respond. I told my husband that "we do not negotiate w/terrorists" that is what I think that whining is, just another way to see if she can get exactly what she wants, when she wants it. When she finally figures out it won't work, she will stop (I hope)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• my 3yo son loves to whine about everything.! he gets frustrated-whine. he cant go outside-whine. he cant have candy-whine. dont wana take a nap or go to bed for the night-WHINE! I dont let my son whine-I cant tell him to shut up. I have to ask what is he whining about-and tell him to talk instead of whining. cause most of the time he whines cause he frustrated...So we make sure we tell him everything why were doing things-"Its time for bed, because u need ur rest. So u can grow" so my dh and I try explaining everything to our son. i wish u luck moma :)
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• well start with putting him in his room if the telling him you cant understand him til he stops doesnt work and theminute he stops let him out or completely ignore him til he stops and dont respond in anyway then after a couple times explain why you are ignoring him then go right back to ignoring him til he stops and is ready to talk not whine
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2011