Not wearing jewelry during surgery ?

Next week I have to have a small out patient procedure done ( i had a cyst that became very infected on my chest ( under my boob lol) ... I had it taken out in an office ( he just numbed it ) ..... well anywasy it didnt close right and so now he thinks he must of missed a piece of the "cell wall" and since I had such a hard time last time ( i had to keep packing it and it didnt close all the way) ... he is going to take me into the OR , put me under general anestia ( sp) and then sew it up ...

Well, today they called to tell me the dos and donts before the procedure , like not eating or drinking after midnight, no makeup or nail polish, and they said no jewelry -- which i would be ok with EXCEPT - I cannot get my wedding rings off !

In the last couple of years I have gained weight ( from a hormone problem, that I just started taking medication for ) so now my fingers are alot bigger than when we got married ... well they are completely stuck to where I have tried everything to get them off ( even before this occasion) - I have tried soap, lotion, string - everything !

so my question is , WHY am I unable to wear jewelry , at first i thought in case it is stolen or something they couldnt be held responsible ( since they said no valuables) , and my grandma told me that when she had a similar thing done ( but in another place) they just covered her rings with a bandaid ...

Or could it have to do with something medical ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Just for Fun

• i was always able to keep my wedding ring on. i think they mean like watch, necklaces .. i was told the wedding ring was okay.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• In many cases hospitals don't want you to wear jewelery in case of theft or loss. If you go under and the rings go missing, then the hospital has to worry about finding a thief. It just makes it easier for them .

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• when i went in for an mri they made me remove my all my body jewelry saying the magnet could rip it out, also if they have to use the defibulator i think it can leave burn marks
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• They probably won't say anything about the wedding ring. They realize that they become stuck but they will warn you that if anything happens they might have to cut it off and you'd have to sign a waiver agreeing to that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Have you tried soaking your hand in a bowl of warm water with Epsom salts? I heard that this helps reduce swelling in your hands and makes it easier for your rings to come off.

If this doesn't work, you will have to go to a jeweler to get it off. They supposedly have a special tool for cases like this. Once it's off, get it resized so it will fit comfortably. It will be cheaper to get it done at a jewelry store than at the hospital.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• The metal can interfere with the equipment.  They can make a small cut in your finger to remove the ring.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Rings are a cesspool for germs and the operating room is a sterile environment. If you can't get it off, they might just cover it. They are doing it to protect you and the sterile field.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Go to the jeweler and get it off and resized. It isn't good for your circulation for it to be too tight. Good luck with the surgery.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2011