Do you think your parents or inlaws would be offended if they bought your child a gift and you took it back to the store?

*so this is what happend..my MIL bought my son a vreader for christmas..(even though i told her not to..because he was already doing good with reading and it would be a waste of money)..well she bought it, he opened it..read with it once and tossed it to the side. well, i put it back in the box and took it back to the store. she sent me a text a couple of hours ago saying to bring the v reader sunday because she bought a new vbook for it. I hope she isnt offended. I DID tell her though not to get this because i didnt want that thing reading to him..i wanted him to read..and also i just knew he wasnt going to be that interested with it.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• well it's not rude to return it (in my opinion) but i think you should have exchanged it for something else for your son, and then told her...so she doesn't do what she just did (buy a game for it). i've exchanged gifts before, but i always let the person know...that could just be me though. my MIL sends dd SOOOOO many things, that she always sends gift reciepts, just in case. but for other people, on the odd chance i return something, i tell them just to be kind. in your situation i'd probably just tell her you returned it, so hopefully she can get her money back for the new thing.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• IMO, you have every right. Once a gift is given, it is yours to do what you please. I have done it many times myself for various reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I would be upset if I was your mil..But that's just me and the fact you've waited so long to tell her your took it back and she's already bought the game for it? Maybe you should offer to take the reciept and return the new game or book she bought since you haven't told her you returned the xmas gift yet..it would be a nice gesture.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Once you are given a gift it becomes yours. to do with as you please. And since you had already told her NOT to buy it I wouldn't feel bad at all. Maybe she can return the book she bought.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:15 AM on Apr. 23, 2011