I'm debating with husband on this topic. We need to come up with an agreement.

confused Did your parents allow you as a teen to go walk around town and hang out with your friends till curfew?  Would you allow your teenagers to do that,if so what rules would you make? 

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 12:59 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine did, but mine didn't really care either. I'm not sure how I would feel about it. It would really depend on who they are as people and their level of maturity and integrity.
    TexasMama2Boys

Answer by TexasMama2Boys at 1:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• yes, as a group..not just me and a girlfriend..there was a large group of us (boys included)

will i? times have changed. i would rather them stay in a certain location..i mean, sure i don't mind if they were to walk the strip, hang by the mall..but i wouldnt want them walking all over the dang town like i did.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Maybe I'm old school but in this day and time we live in No. Its not the same anymore.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 1:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I really did whatever I wanted as long as I was home by curfew. I think when my kids are older, I will make sure that they are in a specific place, not just driving around doing nothing.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think you should meet their friends before they go out with them. You didn't say how old they were. Does your child/children have a cellphone in case you need to reach them, or they need to reach you because of an emergency? I would also want to know where they were going, and know who is dropping them off or picking them up, along with a set time to be home.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I do like that idea Bubbie
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• for last post she does have a cell phone. My biggest concern is them going somewhere sneaky like!
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My daughter is 13
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My parents never left me unattended without an adult unless it was someplace like the movies, skating, the mall. I was not allowed in cars with other teens and I was not allowed a car. If I wanted to go somewhere it was a big process. My parents would let me use their car only if I had plans, a time to be back, and they knew who I was with. I never had a curfew because I wasn't just allowed out of the house. I lived 5 miles from my nearest neighbor. This was only ten years ago! I will treat my girls the same.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Well, I didn't hang out with people in high school but I would walk down to the Walgreens at night by myself in Chicago. I also hung out downtown all the time by myself...without cell phones. I'd take the L down there and just spend the whole day wandering around. I was 16.
    At 13 I was taking the bus to the mall with my younger brother (or walking or riding bikes) to hang out for the day. We were usually back before dark. I know my brother had to be home by curfew as a teen (so as not to be picked up by the cops). He'd sometimes RUN home from friends' houses to beat the alarm (which was 10pm during the school year). depending on why my kids were with I'd let them stay out...as long as they proved trustworthy. Once they betrayed my trust they'd lose the privilege.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2011