Would it bother you if a relative had about the same due date?

Especially if you weren't close and your views on the whole pregnancy,childbirth etc thing was very different so bonding boarded on impossible?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:21 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• No.
    My cousin's wife was due right around the same time as me with my first. Their son is 9 days older than my dd. I always thought that was pretty neat. Then I found out another cousin had a baby 12 days before I had my last. We think it's pretty cool to have them the same age (we talk on facebook since she lives in Mexico at the moment and I live in WA and our family is back in MI)
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:25 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Would not bother me at all. I would just enjoy my moment.
    Annasofia

Answer by Annasofia at 1:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I'm just worried that it might feel like I'm stealing her moment because it's her first and this would be my second.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Yea, especially if I didn't like her and she was in your close family because then she'll try and be buddies with you . Never fails! And that another pain you don't want to deal with. I would tell her to back off and enjoy her moment and let you enjoy yours when she does. I'm pretty sure she knows you don't share likenesses.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 1:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My SIL was due two days before I was. I didn't really care, I don't think she really cared either. The only thing she was upset about was that I was having a girl and she thought that would make my baby the favorite.

You can't steal her moment, it's not like you chose to have a baby at the same time as her.

"Oh you're pregnant? Well I can't let you be the only one. In T-minus 5 hours I will be knocked up and ready to steal your thunder. MUAHAHAHAHA!"

mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 2:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My cousins wife was due the same day as me. I had a misscarrige and she had her baby so It bothers me now to see him. So I'd say yes just because you never know what will happen. As far as sharing a day that never really bothered me but after my loss hearing about the rest of her pregnancy and birth was hard. I was happy for them but it hurt at the same time.
    angelachristine

Answer by angelachristine at 2:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I had something similary happen. A neighbor had the exact same due date as me. I wanted a natural birth (no drugs), she had a planned C section because her first was a C section. We couldn't be more different in parenting philosophy. I nursed, she bottle fed. We refused to get a swing, hers was always in the swing. She gave a pacifier, I hate pacifiers (you get the picture).

We got together at times; it was ok, but just ok. Nothing about it was fun for me, except that occasionally she made a good joke. So I put up with it. Eventually they moved, my problem went away. Unfortunately, relatives usually do not disappear. You will have to make the best of it. Smile and nod, smile and nod. It's not worth arguing.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 2:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• One SIL had twins 4 months ago, another SIL had her baby 2 months ago and I just gave birth to my second child a month ago. It was tough being pregnant at times because my 2nd SIL was as well but I was able to grow a little closer to her (she and I never saw eye to eye on much and never spoke) and we were able to share stories and experiences.

My older son, he shares the same birthday with my nephew. They are 7 yrs apart but it is hard at times to plan a party because my sister plans the nephews in advance or whatever. Turns in to a huge arguement between the two of us at times ha
    hooahreg

Answer by hooahreg at 3:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• No, we have had that happen several times and we all think it's cool. My first was born in May and my cousin and his wife had their baby 4 days before mine. Even cooler, they named their son Kyle and I named my dd Kylee. And neither one of us knew until a few weeks later.

This happened with my 3rd baby. We have some cousins (who happen to be sisters.) Anyway, one of them had their baby two months before mine, another cousin had her baby 3 days after mine, and the last had her baby 2 months after ours.

Then with my 4th, my brother and his wife had their baby 4 days after my 4th was born.

To me, I think it's neat. Our kids are going through the same things at the same time. A baby is a miracle, and every birth should be treated as the same. Your family member's baby will have it's time in the spotlight. besides, you can't control when a baby is born.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:54 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• seriously???

Does that woman know how many people give birth EVERY day. Sweet of you to worry but she needs to get over it.
    OH... and I promise you there will be people with using the same name that she wants to use too... is that going to upset her also???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2011