Why wont she sleep in her crib?!

My 9 wk. old has refused to sleep in her crib since I brought her home, so I had to put her in a bassinet, it was the only way I could get her to sleep once I put her down, but now she's getting too big for it and wont sleep in it anymore. I tried her crib again and for the first couple of days she was doing fine sleeping 4-5 hrs during the night even, but now when I lay her down she'll wake up after a couple of minutes. I dont know what to do! I can't sleep unless we co-sleep in which I still dont sleep because I'm afraid something is gonna happen to her to *I* am the one waking up every 15 mins and even end up sleeping with my glasses on. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• good way to do it..dim the lights...change her feed her swaddle her..put a shirt of yours in the crib by her and that should do it..if she wakes up dont go in there right away if she crys more then 5 min i would and still feed her every so often....i used the cio method she is still a lil young but doing it for 5 min isnt going to hurt...most of the time they will fall back to sleep too!!!
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• bassinets are safe until about 4 months when baby starts to move around a lot... unless your baby is quite big and bigger than the weight limit for your bassinet.

try a sleep positioner in the crib. babies like confined spaces when they are that little, the crib is huge comparatively to a bassinet or your womb :) I also had luck with covering the slats with blankets (until baby could roll and grab them of course) to block out part of the view so that it seem smaller. swaddling might work also.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• She had been sleeping on a positioner, she started sleeping when I removed it- Do i put it back in her crib? Also she doesnt like being swaddled, she'll keep crying and kicking til shes free lol...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• What happens when she wakes up after a couple of minutes? Do you give her enough time to go back to sleep before picking her up and bringing her into your room? You may need to give her a chance to realize that this means time to sleep and let her cry for 10 mintues as long as you know she is okay otherwise. After a few times, she should begin to sleep on her own. She may just need to be conditioned. My 10 month old slept in our room but in a pack and play next to the bed for the first 3 months. Maybe try graduating her to a pack and play from the bassinet before using the crib. Definately swaddle her! It makes a huge difference in feeling secure.
    averys1mom

Answer by averys1mom at 2:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• She sleeps in the room w/me, she'll wake up and start crying- Ive tried waiting a while before getting her to see if she'll stop and go back to sleep but she'll start crying even louder. I've tried waiting 5 mins and giving her a paci. and turning her soother on low to where only she can hear the music and she'll stay quiet for about the time it gets me to walk back to bed and cover up- then she'll start again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Is there room for the crib by your bed? My sister was too afraid to co-sleep, but they took the side off the crib and put the crib mattress at the bed height so it was like an extension of the bed. She could have the baby sleep right next to her but not have to worry. It worked great for them. The only draw back was that it took up a lot of room. When you swaddle your baby do you do it loosely or really tight? My babies don't like the blankets if I wrap them loosely, but if I do it very tight they sleep great anywhere. I tuck each arm down and use a 45 inch square blanket so it's big enough to wrap tightly and stay put.
    childrengalore

Answer by childrengalore at 3:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• just let her sleep w/ you. it's a little scary at first. but your maternal instinct keep you very aware of your baby always. you'll both sleep much better. trust me.
    Anonymous