Mandatory military service

How do you feel about it? Should everyone in the US be made to serve since they reap the benefits of 'freedom'?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:33 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with kids serving this country. Maybe then they would have a better respect for this country, the people in it, and themselves. The military can benefit them in many ways such as schooling, an occupation, disapline and respect. Many of the things they lack now. JMO
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• No, I don't think they should. I'm a Veteran, my husband has been serving for over 20 years now, and our son will be leaving for boot camp in the fall. I obviously support the military. However, look at it like this - where you work, who would you rather in your office or on your work team - a person who wants to be there, wants to work for that company, and who chose that job, or the person who hates it, tries to scam out of it, etc? Now, imagine if your LIFE depended on that person who hated the job and was being forced to do it....

Just to give one example of why I don't support mandatory service. There are more than enough people who are willing to serve who WANT to do it - to the point that, frankly, they are turning people away - that we don't need to draft people who don't want to.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:38 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I guess we're just looking at it from different perspectives. To me, it's more important that we have the best military that we can have, with the people who want to be there, for the sake of our country and for the sake and safety of the other military people, than it is to use it to instill patriotism and appreciation in our youth. There are other ways of doing that that wouldn't require other people to depend on them for their lives.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• No, I don't think everyone should. There's a reason that not everyone who wants in gets in--there are certain qualifications. Do we really want people protecting our country who aren't fit or physically or mentall able to handle it? How many would up and desert their command during war if they couldn't handle it? I am a Marine wife. My father was a Marine, and my 2 grandfathers served in the Air Force, Army, and Navy, so it's not that I am against it. But people need to be qualified to serve.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think it is a great idea. It would stop these little shits that keep protesting outside of our military member's funerals just how wrong they are. yes, you have to be qualified to serve but if you are able I see no reason why 2 years in the service would be bad.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• 2 years of service to country would not hurt anyone. It would not necessarily have to be military service. Unfortunately, there is no need, and IMO, displacing other workers at this particular time would not be advantageous.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Reading what I wrote - I just want to add - I did NOT mean that in a nasty tone at all. I truly meant that in a nice, well, I guess we're just looking at it differently (as in, that's cool - we all have our own perspective) sort of way.

I hope it didn't come across as nasty or snide. :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• dh has always believed all males should serve at some capacity at least 2 years active.
    I don't really care, it's still voluntary, the citizens can do as they wish.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:57 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• That's another point - when we last had the draft, women were not drafted, because women's roles in the military were very limited, and women's rights / women's lib hadn't advanced to the point that it has now. If we tried to draft or enforce a mandatory military service for only the men, then the men could sue the government for sexual discrimination (and they would have a good chance of winning - they are being forced to serve, based on gender, when women were not, again, based on gender). Yet, if we tried to force women to serve, then we get into a lot of issues with "ripping young moms away from their babies", forcing women to serve when some people, based on religious or other views, feel that it is not an appropriate environment for them as women, etc.

Frankly, as I said, there are much better ways to instill values, self respect, etc into our youth, without this.

I don't see this happening again.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I meant all kids (male and female) physicly able to. sheould have to do al least 2 years.

Answer by louise2 at 8:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2011