Hunting for sport

How do you feel about hunting just for the fun of it? Not for food, just for trophy?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Animals are put on this Earth to eat, if you choose to. Hunting for sport a alone is a waste of food. There are programs out there that process meat for free and donate it. Take your trophy, donate the rest. IMO.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Funny, my8 yr daughter just texted me from the field, she shot her first Turkey this morning about 10 minutes ago.
    The animals should only be hunted for eating, and no other reason. God gave us animals to serve mankind, not entertain us. They are also a resouce that needs to managed and protected.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• yeah well, I don't like hunting or endorse it. She wants to do it, so DH takes her. I could never kill an animal but I understand that people do, so I guess I'll be marinating some turkey breasts in a few hours. Oh, I don't disagree with you about religion. I don't advocate anyone be what I am or not be what they are. I only have a problem with you insisting others are wrong all the time based on your perceptions. And that's all I'm going to say about this innocent hunting post. Good day.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I love wild turkey. Congrats to your daughter. The taste is nothing like domestic turkey. I don't like trophy hunting or canned hunting. There are several canned hunt places around here and I feel like cutting the fences.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I am against it, I don't see the challenge of a gun over an innocent animal.

Answer by older at 9:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Some hunting is necessary for population control. If people don't want us to have to control the population of wild animals, then they should stop building houses and developments. Everyone in my area has family members who hunt, some things we hunt because we like to eat them, others, like coyote, you just hunt because it's necessary.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• The only time I (or my DH) have ever been hunting where we didn't intend to take and eat the meat, was when we went coyote hunting on his Grandmother's farm. She's lost several calves and chickens to them, and she had several cows about to give birth. I don't feel bad about that at all.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I grew up in a family that hunted, and most still do so. I was taught from an early age that if I shot it, we ate it. I was also taught not to aim at trophy animals because they were either the best of their species, or had already survived against the odds (ie. albino deer).

I don't like trophy hunting at all, and 'canned' hunts (where the animals are confined) sicken me. I don't believe that killing for the sake of killing is ever right. Hunting for food, killing to protect livestock or humans against a feral/rabid animal, or even from a vicious dog is one thing. Killing because an animal would look good up on a wall is just waste imo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Hunting has become a sport and a way to stay in touch with our hunting past. Whether for depredation, the dinner table, upholstery or over the mantle, hunting is as much a part of our nature as gathering. I enjoy the atmosphere of hunting with my husband and look forward to deer and elk season. I am sympathetic to those that have never had the opportunity to fend for themselves. Fortunately there are still huge numbers of hunters that can provide for those that can't or won't. Without hunting, there would be little money provided by the government to maintain habitat and populations of game. Canned hunts, on the other hand, are for urban slugs that have lost their humanity by living in the urban jungle while the people that provide that "hunting" opportunity should be shunned by all.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 12:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I could never pick up a gun and kill any living being, .....it is taking a life....and I don't eat game or deer or whatever they hunt and bring home. But if you NEED to kill something,I would hope you plan to eat it.

But you don't mind eating that juicy hamburger or steak or chicken wing? At least no animal was killed to provide it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2011