Is Islam compatible with democracy?

Does Islam doctrinally and/or culturally clash with democratic values?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Yes Islam can be part of a democracy, like anything else Islam is practiced very differently by different people and countries. Many areas that primarily practice Islam are steeped in cultural history with societies that are divided along city/states or tribal roots, this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Islam itself. Rulers in the Middle East have gotten rich my using Islam to oppress people the same way other "democratic" rulers have through out history. It's about power, control and money not religion.

I live near the largest Muslim populated area in the USA with many people who are devote Muslims,  and there is no part of their faith that is against democracy.  There are always individuals, mostly those in power, who don't like democracy.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• No more or less than other organized religions do. Islam, like Christianity or Judaism, has the ideal of being able to live solely by it's own rules and doctrines. However, living outside of a perfect world, the understanding is held that it's impossible for that ideal to be complete. And thus democracy is the best of the options available.

When it comes to things like government or basic understandings of life - Islam is no different than Christianity or Judaism or any other organized religion. Basically it teaches it's followers to be good people, with strong beliefs and ideals inside a larger community of mixed peoples. Obviously there are radicals, but zealots are the burden of any religion, and they should be largely ignored when looking at the faith as a whole.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• From what I understand about both I think it would be difficult for an Islamic state to have a democratic govt- the only way I can see both working together is if the country was similar to the US where there is no "official" religion-
    As far as followers of Islam being happy and able to live peacefully here in here in the US- yes, I believe many do-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Just another thought- and I am not sure if I am missing your point or not-but I also do not believe democracy would work here in the US if we adopted any religion as our official religion- for the sake of discussion- take Christianity- I am Christian but I would be fearful if the US proclaimed itself as a Christian Nation ( I know some already do, but I am speaking of an official government statement)
    I guess I am trying to say that its not just Islam I find incompatible with Democracy, but any official state religion-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Radical Islam, just like Radical Christianity or any other radical branch of most any other religion, is not compatible with democracy. However, there is no reason that those who practice Islam cannot live in a democratic society, as moderate Christians are able to live in one.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:04 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Now where did I put that 10 foot pole...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Is Islam compatible with democracy?  No.  It demands a governmental religion by its nature.  

Does Islam doctrinally and/or culturally clash with democratic values?  The nature of Islam is to control what followers say, think, and do.  Democracy doesn't.  Or rather, SHOULDN'T.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2011