How do u explain PDD-NOS to people?

when i say explain to ppl i dont mean stranger i could care less about ppl i dont know , i am having trouble explaining it to my faimly, they look at my 3 year old and say shes not that behind, but she is. or they'll say get another opion. i dont think all the threpist we have seen and a group of doctors are wrong, or they just look at me with that sad look in there eyes like sierra has an alwful disease, i know that PDD-NOS is not the best diagonous but its sure not the worst! But i am having trouble getting a grip with it myself, i dont know if i should tell everyone or just tell if it comes up, the only time the issuse comes up is when we have a meltdown or at birthday parties those big faimly events are hard, so many ppl and sierra acts like she doesnt know half of them! need advice quick, i have a birthday party in a week!!

carol00

Asked by carol00 at 8:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• PDD NOS is an autism spectrum disorder. There are many book on explaining autism to people. There are also several short articles on it. I have found many of these helpful.

http://special-needs.adoptionblogs.com/weblogs/balancing-the-tray 

There is also this one.  This one is great to explain to kids. 

http://momnos.blogspot.com/2010/03/on-being-hair-dryer-kid-in-toaster.html

There are so many resources out there.  This one helped me in coping with the diagnosis

http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Oh and if your therapist look at you with sadness in their eyes like your daughter has an awful disease---find new ones. My son was diagnosed with PDD NOS 9 years ago. It's a challenge, but I have an entirely different perspective on the world. He is the most unique and amazing person who makes me laugh every single day. It's not awful--challenging, yes but not awful.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Couldnt have said it better myself Layh41407!!!

Its not a thing to be looked at as horrid...just different...thats all!

My dd has high functioning aspergers and is BRILLIANT! Has been reading since she was 2. Even though she has some things that slow her down, others that are amazing! Gifts that others wish they had!

I wouldnt feel the need to make them understand about PDD NOS...they should just love her for who and what she is :) The rest is just minor things.....like lay said...challenging yes...but not awful.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:19 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Thanks for the articles and the comments, i think my little girl is a gift for Gods heart she is so funny and so beautiful, i think because my faimly doesnt spend much time with her they dont understand, i tend to keep her home because of the meltdowns but now i figure that she cant help the way she handles life so they are the ones who need to handle things different, i dont want anyone to think my faimly treats her different they dont it just she does warm up to ppl like other kids and because she doesnt talk like most 3 year olds they cant understand her, and the meltdowns they think is my bad parenting, but no with the information ive been given i think they will be much more understanding, thanks for the advice!! its been more helpful than u could know, i dont feel so alone!!!!
    carol00

Comment by carol00 (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2011