Whats wrong with doctors these days?

I had to go to the doctor yesterday, cause I have a muscle spasms in my lower back. She asked me if I had fallen or anything like that. I told her no. Just woke up and there it was. So she says she needs to ask me some questions, starts off asking about my moms history. I start to cry, dried it up and said sorry I just lost her. So I told her about her history. Then my husband tells her about everything that has happened since Dec.3,2010. We have lost a baby, 2 granma's and my mom all by March 2,2011. And asked her if it could be from all of stress and now that everything is calming down now. She says yes, and gives me some meds for the muscle and the pain. Then she tells us that I am depressed and need to go talk to someone. And gives me some meds for that to. Is it wrong to cry for all of the lose? She acts like it is, says that I am to teary eyed. So back to my question What is wrong with doctors these days, what if you cry you are depressed, so take these pills and if you start having thoughts about killing yourself call me. Yes,she tells me this. All I wanted is something to stop the pain in my back and come out diagnosed as depressed. I think todays doctors give out meds. for depression to easy. What do you think?

SonjaNash

Asked by SonjaNash at 8:40 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Health

• She told you to go talk to someone. The meds were to help in the mean time.

In addition, if this is your body's response to stress then it is a sign of depression and she is trying to help you.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I don't take medications unless I have to.. they can write me out the prescription but that doesn't mean I will pick it up. I

I hate that everything always seems to come back to "take this pill and you will be all better"
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Dump her and get another doctor and a second opinion.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I agree, they are pill happy!

Answer by older at 8:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Nowadays, EVERYTHING is a disorder. Shy? You have social anxiety disorder. An active child? Must be ADHD. Sad? Stressed? Must be depression. Ever walk through the self-help section in a book store? Seems we're all "broken" in some form or another. And guess what? The pharmaceutical companies are driving it (they are the ones who actually "teach" the doctors) so it's no wonder everyone is pill happy. Are you familiar with the DSM-IV? The manual of psychiatric disorders. It seems to double in volume every few years or so.

It's sickening.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I agree; everyone is too pill happy.

I get those spasms that you describe. I usually take magnesium (a natural muscle relaxer) if it's really bad, take an epsom salt bath (epsom salts are magnesium sulfate), use a heating pad, take it slow for a day or two and it gets better really fast. I also go to my chiro and it helps a lot. Feel better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• A lot of loses can lead to depression and by the way you listed off the deaths she probably assumed you were depressed.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I'm so sorry that you have lost so many loved ones. Many people would be depressed going through what you've been through in such a short time. I agree though that doctors seem to automatically jump to depression very quickly. My story-went to see my dr. about foot pain and that was one of his first questions "are you depressed have you been under a lot of stress"? I mean really-- so I completely get where you are coming from. That said I've also tried some of those anti-depressants (NOT for footpain) and have found them to help.
    Good Luck to you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:14 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think she's rude and if I were you I would see another dr. She has bad bedside manner.. I mean where does she get off saying if you think you want to kill yourself call me? seriously?!? That's just ignorant! Sounds like she was just trying to write you off! I'd find another dr soon.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 9:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You do not have to take the medicine that she gave you if you feel you do not need it. You are just still mourning the loss of your family. I think Dr.s have been sued so often that they have to cover their tails. If they see a symptom or you share it with them they have to treat it. Talk with you husband and if you feel like you can not function, feel hopeless, suicidal thoughts, and cry nonstop then maybe you need them and need to speak to someone. You decide you make the decision.
    In the meantime..get a second opinion on your back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Apr. 23, 2011