I feel like jerk....

My neighbors recently adopted a stray dog that someone dumped off out here in the country... I considered it to be more of the neighborhood dog because they don't have a fence and the dog just walks around to everyone's house to do her hellos.

This morning when I got up the dog was on my porch without her collar.

I feel like a jerk because the dog has been spending so much time over here recently (I'm a work at home mom with two small kids) because she doesn't seem to like to be alone and will come to where there are people.

I'll talk to my neighbors later but I can't help but feel like they are just giving us the dog because she spends so much time here.

Would you feel the same if the dog came over without their collar on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Pets

• I wouldn't think they were giving you the dog, I would probably take the dog over to them later and say something about how he was out and over visiting you earlier and you noticed that it looked like he slipped out of his collar.

See what they say from there... :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think the dog is going where he feels loved, collar or not he is probably getting more love from you guys....

Answer by older at 8:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• she may have lost her collar, I don't blame you for loving him and wanting to spend time with you guys. Maybe they will enventually give her to you if she keeps coming over.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• she is but that is only because they have full time jobs the teens are in school and they are just so busy... like i said, i'll talk to them, maybe they are buying her a new collar
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• So, did anyone actually establish ownership of this dog? Or did someone just start feeding it? If no one has really taken him on, like vet care, feeding, walking etc, I would just come out and ask if you could have him because he's there the whole time anyway.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• They have taken daisy to the vet, bought dog food, had a collar on her.. they don't take her for a walk so much as let her walk around. she is an outside dog only.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I dont fully understand why you feel bad, is it because you feel you are taking the dog from them by giving her attention and love? If so, I would say "Easy come, easy go." If they really cared about keeping this dog, they would make more of an effort to care for her needs and keep her around. The dog is wandering over to your property by free will, not because you are stealing the dog away from them. I would say continue to enjoy the dog as you have, they apparently do not mind.

If you want to keep the dog full time, then you need to have a conversation with them. They may have adopted the dog for reasons of convenience, i.e. the dog was there anyway. They don't sound like they are really overly attached to this pet, or they would be more concerned for her safety.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• None of us have a fence which is why the dog just get the walk around. we live out in the country by a lake where most of the houses are vacation once or twice a year used houses so she IS safe.. just bored during the day. I can't keep her because the owner of the house doesn't want dogs inside the house and it does snow here in the winter, id bring her in.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2011