Never let a good crisis go to waste?

According to the progressive White House , the federal debt ceiling is at a point where it would be "armageddon-like" if we didn't raise it. Since some "experts" indicate that it needs to be increased by mid-May, don't you think our Congress should be working diligently on a solution? Did you know that they are at home on a 2 week recess right now? If this is such a major crisis, why would they be home? Maybe the answer is that it isn't as catastrophic as the White House is making it sound. Maybe they just don't want another good "crisis" to go to waste?
If they raise it that just gives them more money to borrow on the tax-payer dime. Perhaps they should vote it down and FORCE the progressives to make the spending cuts needed.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I understand the new Democratic push will be to discuss loudly how often the ceiling should be increased, rather than paying off the debt. Seems exactly like something our government would do to avoid the problem completely.
    IMO, We should have bank accounts with figures in the Trillions, not debt. The US should ideologically have absolutely no debt at all, it would have been possible had it been handled properly after WW11. I am completely in favor of not raising it ever again., but rather a continual 5 year lowering, until it's wiped out completely. Government financial plans always seem to have 5 year or 10 plans with 4 year terms for the ones signing the paper. That way, we just keep passing the buck.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:41 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I am sure they are trying to pump as much of this 'expert opinion' into the forefront as possible before the recess is over, considering O even said that Americans have short attention spans. He's counting on us to forget what the S&P said.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• They are hoping the problem will just go away..or there will be another crisis large enough to divert our attention.

I will be keeping my eye on every one of them. I am expecting strong stands from the Tea Party group. We have to increase it which is a big part of the problem...this is what the Democrats are hedging their bets against...but we can't raise it without making some really deep cuts.

I want to see "plans" with shorter "terms" and I want NO new spending and everything that hasn't been funded tabled. I also want more things..but that is enough for this post!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Our Govt should LEARN to live within it's means just like Every citizen has to live within our means.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Good point Carpy. I know it isn't a good idea but has anyone ever wondered why they don't just "print" the money like they do when they WANT to spend money?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• See, this is why I'm surprised that Obama would WANT to run for re-election!! This is the LONGEST he has held a single job/position. In all of his past roles--especially that of Community Organizer and Senator, he never stuck around long enough to see the fall out of his "brilliance!"

(Lots of pictures included!)

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2008/07/photo-gallery-results-of-obamas.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Wow! Thanks for the link Lori! Those pictures are very telling. I also like the last part:

Kaus calls this "Obama's Katrina," explaining that if Obama is running on his record as a community activist and advocate, it's a pretty big deal a housing project he had his hand in is an almost-unlivable slum... Perhaps Obama had good intentions here. Trouble is, he has a decidedly thin resume, and one of the biggest bullet points on it reads Miserable Failure.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• See, this is why I'm surprised that Obama would WANT to run for re-election!!

He hasn't finished his "change". I fear what that change is.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think congress works better when they go on recess. All they would do if together is bicker and get nowhere.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I didn't vote for this man. It's terrible how he says that we Americans have short attention spans when we have sooooooo much bull shit to deal with from the get go.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 12:50 AM on Apr. 24, 2011