Kids playing video games.....

My son is 7, and is ADHD, he would sit and play violent. Well he will play any, but the more violent, the better for him - although I monitor, and don't let him play many of them - his father will when he has him. And my son is the type that picks up on each little detail, and then will talk about it for days, weeks, etc. and that is all he wants to talk about is violence.... weird, I know.
Anyways, I am trying to monitor his video game "time" because I don't think it's healthy for him to sit and stare at a TV screen all day/evening playing those games. I mean seriously, I remember as a kid, I would have rather been outside, playing with toys, or reading a book than sitting inside staring at a TV. Does anyone else have a schedule, or routine as far as this goes? I am wanting to set a schedule of some sort for both my kids (I have a 3 year old daugther also)... I'm thinking when he gets home from school, he does homework, then can play video game until supper is finished (about an hour), after supper he has to find something else to do, play, etc. other than video games....
He gets so upset, and whiney also - not sure if this is part of ADHD, or what. I never thought ADHD was so serious, and so hard to control/deal with until my son was diagnosed with it. Sometimes, I feel like I could walk away and cry because he will argue with EVERYTHING, questions anything I tell him to do, and always back talks if I tell him not to do something, or anything negative. He can't just say "okay", "yes ma'am", etc. Is this just an ADHD thing??
Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Homework right after school, then outside time when weather permits, then dinner, then 60 minutes of NON VIOLENT games, then shower and bed.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Wow!!! Sounds like we have the same son and the same ex!!! My son's dad lets him play for hours and hours at a time. It had taken over my sons life for a while- all he could think about and talk about. Because of how much and often he gets to play at his dad's my house is now a video game free zone. If he plays anything we play the wii and it's something we can both play.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My DS has Asperger's and ADHD so this is what we have started with the video games.

Every morning he gets 20 video game dollars (20 in monopoly money) They are in a en envelope on the cork board. Each $ is worth 1 min so 20 $ 20 min. Additional min can be earned in increments of 5 or 10. So it is also a reward system. Arguing can loose $'s. There was one day he lost his 10 of his next days min. There are also rules as to when he can use them. A he has to have permission to spend them. B only 30 min can be spent at a time a total of 1 hour. C At other houses or if he has friend over $ do not apply.

3 good things have happened 1- He is not angry when his time is up because he KNOWS he will get to play again. 2- He is learning to budget time and money in a sense. (make wise choices on a small budget) 3- he will ask me sometimes what extra chores he can do to earn more video game dollars. SO that's always a perk!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I never made a big deal about t.v time it was known as long as homework was done they could watch or play video games but they would realize their friends were outside and go. My oldest would say it gets boring just sitting and roller blade or play soccor we would start the game and soon all of their friends would be there.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• earning time sounds GREAT!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think that alot of boys that age act that way or at least my son does sometimes.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Its not just boys!

But_Mommie, I LOVE that idea!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Both of my boys have ADHD. My youngest was a lot more severe than my oldest. My youngest son is also 7 years old. He loves to play his V. Smile which is a learning game system we bought him like 3 years ago. I let him play that whenever he wants. I think it was ages like 4-7, but he still plays it all the time and he will be 8 come June. We also have a wii that both boys love to play, but we don't have any violent games really. Mostly like racing, sports games, and all. I don't really have a schedule on the games. The wii usually only let them play on weekends. during school days they do homework first always then i usually let them go outside to play or they can play in their rooms till dinner.

My youngest son has little things he does like he hums when playing games. While reading books he can't keep his fingers still or he rocks. His loves to read and crosswords keep his attention good.
    preciouscat

Answer by preciouscat at 8:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2011