THUMB SUCKING

Any advice on breaking my 3 year old from sucking her thumb? I am working on it at my house, however when she goes to dads each week, he doesn't ever want to work with me on anything that I am trying to do at home (breaking the thumb sucking, even potty training - I did that all on my own with her also), because I think it "takes too much time" out of him just laying on the couch letting the kids do what they want.... He isn't too energetic when it comes to disapline, trying to help out with "doing what is right" with the kids..... It seems like I'll get the kids "lined out" when they come back, then it's time for them to go to his house again & it starts all over....
ANY ADVICE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• just keep to it, pull the thumb out of her mouth and tell her no even at his place.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:33 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• The thumb sucking is so hard to do specially because you just can't get rid of it, it is always there even if you say no, this is why the pacifier is so much better, you can always throw it out. Working at local hospitals in maternity wards, I saw so many moms that still sucked their thumbs!!!!! All I can tell you is to keep harping on how ugly and childish it looks when she does this.

Answer by older at 9:37 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You just have to be consistent.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:38 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Put a sock on her hands at night,keep pulling it out. I let me tell you my daughter did that until she was about 6 and she broke herself of it but it does ruin thier teeth she will have to have braces at some point not cheap.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I tossed my older daughter's pacifier and she started sucking her pointer finger. Now, three of my girls suck their fingers/thumbs. I am not concerned with making them stop, it is a comfort/security thing. My older two (5 and 6) only suck their thumb/finger when they are sleepy, sleeping or upset. My 2 y/o still does it a lot but, it is getting less. Just tell her when you see her sucking on her thumb to take it out of her mouth. Getting mad or disciplining her for it is only going to make her need more security.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• honestly let it go both dd 13 and ds 9 sucked their thumbs , the more you make an issue out of it the more she will do it ......they stop around the time they start school and other kids notice......this was my peds recommendation too
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2011